How can this be achieved? camera/post process

4 years 9 months ago #651510 by Andrew-Joo
hey guys im new here. I am not so familiar with photography / photoshop.

Im trying to buy a company camera for our marketing team so that we can take some still life photos for our social media accounts.

There are couple photos I want to reference for our company and wondering how this can be achieved.  These photos look as if they are "artificial" not sure how else to describe it.  
Is this a matter of choosing the right camera? lens? post processing?

Would really appreciate if this can be achieved with Leica camera/lens.

4 years 9 months ago #651513 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Andrew

Firstly - Welcome to the Photo Forum ... you'll find that there are heaps of keen photographers here and that the advice and suggestions come easily :)

You are
a) showing us images that appear to be created by professional photographer/s with considerable technical experience, and
b) asking about 'Leica' cameras - the Rolls Royce of camera makers, -but-
c) you are going to issue said camera to staff for [generally low image quality] web-page social media accounts??

Okay - while your project appears to be a great idea, I feel that both you and us need a bit more to go on
1- what is your budget for equipment? and how extensive to you see this equipment list becoming? ;
2- what camera / photographic experience level/s does the staff actually have? ;
3- what photo editing skills does your staff have - in order that the images they create are suitable for more than 'plain web-page' display?

Nothing is impossible and your ideas are not unreasonable - all I am suggesting is that - at this early stage - you might need to plan a bit more

Others here who are more experienced in this business will also have something to offer as well :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 9 months ago #651514 by Andrew-Joo
appreciate your response and help.

Our budget is in the range of about 5k usd

by no means are we experts at photography. Need advice on how to achieve such look. sorry for being very general but don't know where to start. any advice would be appreciated.

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #651521 by garyrhook
Go hire a photographer. Someone that already has the technical knowledge that is necessary to achieve your goals. You can tell from portfolios whether someone's work fits with your vision.

Past that, you can't get that look without a lot of experience and know-how. Nothing we tell you will help, and let me assure you, it's not all about the camera.

Seriously: go find someone and compensate them. You'll get more done, faster and cheaper, then pretending that what you want to can be accomplished by asking some vague questions.

Otherwise, plan on dedicating a few months to just getting started.

N.B. have you even priced Leica lenses?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
4 years 9 months ago #651536 by Andrew-Joo
thanks for you input although not the answer we are looking for...
yes we have looked at Leica prices..

The reason we want to start doing everything in house is because after 3 years of using different photographers at high price points, we never achieved the look we were after. It took so much preparation time and $ just to have pictures that we were not content with. We used top tier photographers in NYC as well as renting out studios with prop artists.

One thing for sure we learned is that using a proper studio set makes a whole lot of difference. We used different studios in different countries and believe it or not we were more satisfied with our photos taken with an iPhone in the right studio set with natural lighting. And because of this, we want to start doing everything in house.

You are correct, it will be easier to just pay a professional but we want to invest into equipment so we have the freedom to what we want. We know its not going to be an easy task but whos to say that "Nothing we tell you will help" on this forum? I thought a forum is a place people in the niche gather to share information and insight.

You seem like a great photographer but you do realize you had to start somewhere also right?

We are posting to ask for advice, any advice on where to start - equipment, post processing etc. Not advice on how we should be spending our money.

We realize its not an easy task but hey there's a first to everything right?

Thanks for your input nonetheless, appreciate it.

4 years 9 months ago #651537 by Nikon Shooter

Andrew-Joo wrote: … wondering how this can be achieved.  These photos look as if they are "artificial" not sure how else to describe it.

The answer you need will not be found in a forum I'm afraid.

You want to achieve pictures/renditions that are way over your
skills set and, in that sense, Gary is perfectly right. The creative
processes, the knowledge requirements and the final production 
quality are not brand, specific gear, or investments dependant.

Some of us could tell you how to reach similar final results but
you would not, as it seems, follow the conversation and this is ba-
sed on the simple fact that you asked the question in the first place.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: fmw
4 years 9 months ago #651540 by fmw
I second the prior posters.  It is important for you to understand that the camera is not an issue.  Any modern digital camera can produce the images you attached.  The issue is the photographer.

Not all professional photographers are good photographers and not all good photographers are professional photographers.  But good images always come from good photographers.  I understand what you want to do.  The learning curve is far longer than you realize. 

The camera doesn't matter.  Cost is not necessarily an indication of image quality - at all.  So my advice is to start with a less expensive DSLR or interchangeable lens mirrorless and save the rest of your budget to fill out the system.  You will get exactly the same images that you would have with a Leica system and have funds for tripods, lenses, lighting and other important and useful tools. 

Good luck.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651551 by Shadowfixer1
Don't worry so much about the gear as any decent modern camera can do these. These images are all about lighting. If you want to make images like these, take as many courses as you can in lighting. The most expensive camera made will not let you make these type images until you learn lighting. Go buy a Fuji medium format and give it a whirl. You will quickly learn that one of the best imaging machines out there won't produce these type of results until you learn lighting. 
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #651559 by garyrhook

Andrew-Joo wrote: You are correct, it will be easier to just pay a professional but we want to invest into equipment so we have the freedom to what we want. We know its not going to be an easy task but whos to say that "Nothing we tell you will help" on this forum? I thought a forum is a place people in the niche gather to share information and insight.

You seem like a great photographer but you do realize you had to start somewhere also right?

We are posting to ask for advice, any advice on where to start - equipment, post processing etc. Not advice on how we should be spending our money.

We realize its not an easy task but hey there's a first to everything right?

Okay, with all due respect, you didn't provide any of this (it seems to me relevant) information. Much appreciated. And knowing that, it changes my reply.

1) Did you know 3 years ago what you were looking for? Did you vet the photographers you hired to ensure they fit with your aesthetic vision? Or has your vision developed over time?
2) Finding the right photographer can be a challenge, yes. Sorry to hear that has been a disappointment.
3) Repeat on the lighting suggestions. I absolutely encourage anyone to dive in an learn/explore photography. But it's going to take serious effort to learn about lighting, which means both $ and time. I'm sure you understand that now, after your experiences.

All that said: yes, coming and asking questions is what a forum is all about, but: What, precisely, about the referenced images is appealing to you? When you can verbalize that, you'll know enough to recreate it.

As for the iPhone, what you're seeing is the iPhone's post processing. That's the software making decisions, not the device, and not (only) the light. You like the heuristics in the camera. (I think that) It's important to understand that.

I know this is probably still not very helpful. If you want to learn to process, (suggest to) get a modest full frame (only because of sensor quality, not size) like a D750, a short zoom (a 24-70 f/2.8 ) with decent IQ, and some software like Capture One, Lightroom, Luminar, etc. and get to work. I recommend strobist.com as a starting point. Tons of great education there.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024