Camera gear and extreme heat

4 years 8 months ago #651681 by Joe Peterson
Never been in weather anywhere near those temps!  

No clue, but will follow this thread as I'm interested now.   

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651697 by Dana Beasley
No idea, but what ball head is that?

4 years 8 months ago #651699 by Shadowfixer1
It was 122 in the shade at the visitor's center when I was there. I have not had a problem with a camera and the heat but I did have a lens once that had the lubrication thin out and got on the aperture blades. This resulted in the aperture blades closing down in slow motion and throwing the exposure off.     
4 years 8 months ago #651702 by ThatNikonGuy
HOT!  That's a good question question for the camera maker.  I hate to be an echo, but I haven't got even a guess on this one. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651703 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alex

134F == 56C .... and we in Oz get temps like that every year in late summer somewhere across the outback.

As SF also mentioned, after extreme temps get to our gear the lubricants 'go gluggy'. This was well known with Compur shutter systems in years past, as well as aperture blades 'jamming'

As to your Q regarding heat stresses - I would surmise that 'no' an occasional heating will be accommodated via the camera body absorbing internal radiant temperatures, but a) over time with repeats, or b) trully excessive 'acute' heating where, say, the camera was left exposed to the sun while placed on the rear window parcel shelf in a closed up motor vehicle, might cause some damage of some sort

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 8 months ago #651704 by garyrhook
That information is usually readily available as part of the specs for any camera. By way of example, the operating temperature range for the D850 is listed on the Nikon site as 32º - 104º F. Look here:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d850.html

Under Tech Specs / Miscellaneous.

It should be in the manual, too.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651709 by Pete Franko

Dana Beasley wrote: No idea, but what ball head is that?

I'm pretty sure it's the Acretech GP.  He was talking about it in an article I read here last month.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651729 by Nikon Shooter
What a horrible thing, heat!
Extreme heat is not for me!  :ohmy:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651770 by KENT MELTON

Nikon Shooter wrote: What a horrible thing, heat!
Extreme heat is not for me!  :ohmy:

I'm with you on this one.  No thank you.  I bet the pool water at hotels out there is so warm. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651934 by Inez Villarin

garyrhook wrote: That information is usually readily available as part of the specs for any camera. By way of example, the operating temperature range for the D850 is listed on the Nikon site as 32º - 104º F. Look here:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d850.html

Under Tech Specs / Miscellaneous.

It should be in the manual, too.

That doesn't make sense as "[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)" as plenty of people shoot  in the arctic which is plenty colder than that  Then 104 F, heck I have shot my 5D in warmer weather than that. 
[/font]
Is that the internal operating temp then? 

If that is correct, what happens in  those temps then? 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651957 by Nikon Shooter

Inez Villarin wrote: [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]Is that the internal operating temp then? If that is correct, what happens in  those temps then? 

The temperature inside the camera will take some time to reach
such high points. The concern is that some glue joints that may
soften too much. However, the chips will warmup during peak o-
perations but they are not under constant stress.

I worked in very hot areas and very cold too and not really expe-
rienced any difficulties except the normal short lived batteries in
the very cold.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #651993 by Neil Dulay
So with higher heat will the camera just shut down or will there be introduction to noise in the shot? 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #652005 by Nikon Shooter
I don't know!

The worst shooting conditions I experienced were -37°C
in the Baffin Island (now in Nunavut) and 37°C+ in Nevada.
I had no problem (nor the gear!) in the cold but the gear
scored way better than me in the heat.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652008 by garyrhook

Inez Villarin wrote: That doesn't make sense as "[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)" as plenty of people shoot  in the arctic which is plenty colder than that  Then 104 F, heck I have shot my 5D in warmer weather than that. 
[/font]
Is that the internal operating temp then? 

If that is correct, what happens in  those temps then? 

I only reported what the manufacturer states on their website. I'm thinking that the stated range is for warranty, and they won't cover problem arising from use in extreme environments.

I would guess that prolonged exposure to extreme conditions could damage some of the materials in the camera, or impact its function. You'd have google for experiences, or ask the manufacturer.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652122 by Victoria A
Well that was an interesting thought.  I went to Google however and at least with my searches couldn't find any related heat stories.  Now I'm curious at what temp will cameras just stop working?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024