How to get customers to read their contract?

6 months 4 weeks ago #651964 by Joslyn
They of course sign the  bottom.  But I've had to on numerous occasions clarify things with clients, things that are clearly outlined in their contract.  The response is always the same "Oh, I just scanned this quickly, no one ever reads these things word for word".  Well close to that.  

This is getting annoying to re-explain things over and over when it's in the contract.  

So how do you get your customers to read their contract?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 4 weeks ago #651970 by fmw
The customers are right, few people read contracts.  Get over it and point out whatever you need to point out.  Lawyerly text, by the way, is never an effective tool for good customer service.

Photo Comments

6 months 4 weeks ago #651981 by garyrhook
What he said, above. If you've run into problem areas, then you make it part of your engagement to get the customer at a table, or on the phone, and walk through the contract hitting the problem areas, before they sign.

Lead them by the hand.

Photo Comments

6 months 4 weeks ago #651986 by icepics
Go over it with them, not by reading it to them but summarizing it. It's up to them to read it (or not) but if there's a question or concern later refer back to it... as in, remember that contract you signed?

I used to do paperwork with families when I was working, and no, people don't necessarily read it. But they have a copy they can go back and read/reread.

Maybe think about revising your contract to be less wordy or written in more user friendly, everyday language. Be aware of how you're presenting it to them and think about if/how you can emphasize important points and that it's up to them to keep their copy and read it. And make sure it's easy enough to read and understand.

Sharon
Photo Comments

6 months 4 weeks ago #652015 by Finn
Bold those important parts, or better yet, give a dummy down version as the cover letter, something that is easily scanned by their eyes and references the sub parts of the contract with initial spots next to each. 

Photo Comments

6 months 4 weeks ago #652149 by EOS Man
Have them initial important parts. 

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #652511 by Richard Taylor
+1 have them initial each important part.

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #652560 by Ben Vanderbilt

Richard Taylor wrote: +1 have them initial each important part.

Not much more you can do from there.  But then, many will read and retain zero.  Darwin would be proud.  

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #652742 by Nikon Shooter
I have to sign small print form — that I never read — when I bring
my car for service but I like to think I should trust them.

Sure, clients should sign a contract but if you think they should
read it, you may not have told them everything clearly enough.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #652762 by Kenya See
Yup agree.

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653044 by Jennifer Krueger
Not much you can do for those that scan only.  You can have then initial each, but they will likely still scan and sign.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Sure, the Canon 5D Mark III is eight years old, but as you'll see in this Canon 5D Mark III review, it still has a lot to offer photographers today.

Feb 11, 2020

The Nikon D5600 is a few years old now, but it's still a very capable camera for beginner and enthusiast photographers. Learn about this camera's features in our Nikon D5600 review.

Feb 10, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Do you have your first photo shoot coming up soon? Get ready for it with these first-time photo shoot tips!

Feb 13, 2020

B-roll is an essential part of creating the story you tell in your videos. The question is, what's the best lens for B-roll - a 50mm or 85mm? Find out in this head-to-head comparison.

Feb 13, 2020

With these simple travel photography hacks, you'll learn how to plan, prepare, and execute a more successful photography adventure...and possibly make money while doing it!

Feb 13, 2020

It's official! Canon made their Canon EOS R5 announcement yesterday, confirming many rumored features, including IBIS and 8K video.

Feb 13, 2020

Getting started in commercial real estate photography requires a lot of work and many different steps. Get the process going with these introductory real estate photography tips.

Feb 13, 2020

Station squabble by Sam Rowley, UK Sam discovered the best way to photograph the mice inhabiting London's Underground was to lie on the platform and wait....

Feb 13, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020