Why Sony has lead on market - modern day Outlier?

4 months 2 weeks ago #652194 by Little Kate
I just got finished reading a book called 'Outliers'  by Malcolm Gladwell.  Very interesting book have any of you read it?  It speaks of people who being in the right place in time, and those that put in the time to their craft to come out and be the leader or success story.  

https://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story-Success-Malcolm-Gladwell/dp/0316017930

Now Sony is certainly no over night success.  As a brand name, they have had their share of success.  However haven't they spent a large portion of their time in the camera industry as kind of the outsider, the underdog falling in the shadows of Canon and Nikon?  If you have read the above book you'll see the connection I'm making here.  Now they put in their time into their mirrorless cameras and the market is finally shifting, and putting them on the top above Goliaths like Canon and Nikon.  I bet if Malcolm Gladwell did a book on companies that were Outliers, I bet Sony's rise in the camera  market  would be one of the companies referenced.   

Do you agree?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 2 weeks ago #652208 by Piechura
It happens a lot in technology. A company gambles on a particular technology and so when it takes off, they're in a strong position to dominate the market. Sony have had their fair share of times where they've invested in a technology that didn't succeed, like betamax or MiniDisc.

But obviously we're comparing the third and fourth generation Sony cameras to the first generation Nikon or Canon. That means that a lot of the teething problems that those two manufacturers have, Sony have already ironed out in their cameras. And obviously the difference in variety of native lenses is massive. I'm probably going to be buying a mirrorless full frame camera soon, and I'll almost certainly be going Sony for exactly that reason.

4 months 2 weeks ago #652226 by Overread
:agree:  yep that makes sense, Sony but put in their time to get where they are today.  I seem to recall not long ago, Sony photographic arm wasn't do so well.  How the tables have turned.  

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #652271 by Francis
Well I suspect once Nikon and Canon get moving along, it won't be long for that mirrorless lead to close up.  You can see both companies ramping up entry level mirrorless cameras to attract from the bottom end of the market share funnel.  

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #652280 by Piechura

Francis wrote: Well I suspect once Nikon and Canon get moving along, it won't be long for that mirrorless lead to close up.  You can see both companies ramping up entry level mirrorless cameras to attract from the bottom end of the market share funnel.  

Canon's lens selection is ridiculously high-end at the moment. They released a 50mm f1.2, an 85mm f1.2, and a 28-70 f2.0, all of which are well over $2000

They did release a 24-105 f4 and a 35mm f1.8 macro, but I'd say they've definitely been hitting the higher end of the market.

Still nothing wide angle yet.

Nikon seems to have more of the standard range of lenses you'd get started with. 24-70 in f4 and f2.8, 35 and 50mm f1.8, and the 14-30mm f4.

4 months 2 weeks ago #652301 by Stanly
Agree, Canon is crushing it.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

4 months 1 week ago #652363 by Little Kate
So are you suggesting they could be catching up?

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

The Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L is one of the holy trinity of lenses every photographer needs to have. Does it stand up to its huge price tag? Let's find out!

Nov 22, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

"Turn a precious moment into a viral sensation," touts the "Birthie" stick, which doubles as stirrups for your labor and a selfie...

Dec 04, 2019

There are some great Cyber Monday deals going on right now for photographers. Get new gear at deep discounts today!

Dec 02, 2019

Continuous light sources like video lights can be an excellent lighting solution for portraits. Take a look at these helpful portrait lighting tips using on-camera video lights.

Dec 02, 2019

Do you have questions regarding circular polarizers? We have the answers in this quick primer.

Dec 02, 2019

Photo by Rik van der Kroon on Unsplash One of my fondest memories was being woken up by my father in the middle of the night as...

Nov 28, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

If you're sick of trying to print your photos at home, follow this photo printing advice and learn how to print photos with professional labs to get the best results.

Nov 27, 2019