Are you using Auto ISO setting on your camera?

4 years 8 months ago #652513 by Nathan D
I'm playing around with my cameras settings and reminded about Auto ISO.  

Will you use this setting at all? 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652521 by Nikon Shooter
The only time I'm not using it is in studio sessions
because all conditions are controlled and the reac-
ion time is rarely critical.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652524 by Shadowfixer1
I use Auto ISO a lot especially with wildlife and birds. I set my camera on manual. I set the shutter speed so I won't get blur from movement and I set aperture for the DOF I want. I let the camera worry about ISO. It's when I am in a controlled or semi-controlled environment that I choose all three. If it's a landscape I make sure to pick the optimum ISO for clean images.
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #652553 by Troponin
I set my iso to its native setting when I am using a flash and want absolutely no noise. ISO tends to be more evident in macro than other areas of photography. 

Its on auto for for pretty much everything else, and, if the conditions permit, I use it with a flash too.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652683 by KENT MELTON
When I'm using Aperture Priority I am.  When in Manual Mode, no I'm not. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652857 by Jason Stevens
I'm on and off with Auto ISO, I like having control.  I know it will always fish around for lowest ISO value to use for the shot.  Eh, that's likely my like to have control side of me talking. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652876 by fmw
I never use it.  It tends to choose higher ISO's than I need for the situation and that introduces avoidable noise.  I set ISO manually for the given subject or lighting conditions.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652899 by Shadowfixer1

fmw wrote: I never use it.  It tends to choose higher ISO's than I need for the situation and that introduces avoidable noise.  I set ISO manually for the given subject or lighting conditions.

I'm curious. How does it choose a higher ISO than you need? It chooses the ISO to make the other settings you have set work. If you want it to choose a lower ISO, you need to change either your shutter speed or your aperture. I have heard others say it picks a higher ISO than needed and I would like to know how that happens.
4 years 8 months ago #652907 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Nathan

Generally speaking, I use Auto-ISO with an 800-ISO max for 90% of the time ... being that most of my pics are landscapes and general everyday stuff. I will go for a set ISO in other locations, esp when I am using "S or "M" modes

I take note of the ISO in the EVF as I am shooting and regularly see 100 - 160 - 200 sort of numbers, even though it's set to 800-max

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 8 months ago #652919 by KCook
Depends on the camera brand. With my Olympus I use it a lot. Not quite so much with my Canon.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 8 months ago #653028 by Chester Foster
Almost all the time

4 years 8 months ago #653067 by Tim Dordeck
Yes, except when in manual mode.  Well let me make a correction.  That and about 70% of the time in Aperture priority mode. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653078 by Prago
Hardly ever, I don’t like not having control and the semi randomness it sets the white balance.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653235 by fmw

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

fmw wrote: I never use it.  It tends to choose higher ISO's than I need for the situation and that introduces avoidable noise.  I set ISO manually for the given subject or lighting conditions.

I'm curious. How does it choose a higher ISO than you need? It chooses the ISO to make the other settings you have set work. If you want it to choose a lower ISO, you need to change either your shutter speed or your aperture. I have heard others say it picks a higher ISO than needed and I would like to know how that happens.

I don't know why it happens.  Obviously it is built into the sofware that controls the camera.  The base ISO for my cameras is 200.  I set that manually so I don't have to even think about digital noise.  200 work for a large percentage of what I shoot.  If I need more I will increase it manually but never beyond 800.  In very low lighting I will use a tripod way before I use extreme ISO.

In the film days we were working with ISO numbers from 64 to 400 for the most part.  Millions of great images were produced.  While the camera technology has changed, the requirements for good photography have not.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653237 by garyrhook
  1. Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Maybe I'm nuts, but I would think the ISO value would be based on the camera's meter. And different modes could produce different results, right?

I find that, on my D750, the auto mode tends to choose values that are "hot" under challeging conditions (e.g. harsh mid-day light). I don't like risking blown highlights, so I'll use auto mode to see what the meter thinks, then set a specific value and validate it. After that I make changes across the board, as required.

Under less challenging lighting, I can often trust Auto mode. But I still chimp.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024