Can two photographers copyright a one composite image?

4 years 8 months ago #652564 by Chester Foster
If two photographers have a hands on in the creation of a composite image, can both of them copyright it?

Just to spin this further, if each photographer contributed an image that was used to make this composite, then what?  

4 years 8 months ago #652574 by garyrhook
A copyright is a thing that is owned. A thing may have more than one owner.

Sharing ownership of a created thing can lead to all sorts of problems if the asset could be transferred, or licensed, or used in some way.

You'll want the details of the arrangement on paper, and signed, to avoid complications in the future.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652610 by Chester Foster
Thank you Gary.  Actually this is for a friend of mine who had contributed an image and helped work on a composite that now has a decent size paycheck to it and the other person is trying to keep all the $$.  

4 years 8 months ago #652611 by Nikon Shooter
There are three objects that may be copyrighted in this
situation: the two originals and the composition made of
the same two images.

Prudence and wisdom will create an agreement between
the two photographers and the artist(s) who created the
said composition. Possibly, it should cover provisions for
the selling, using or renting of the final publication.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652620 by Chester Foster

Nikon Shooter wrote: There are three objects that may be copyrighted in this
situation: the two originals and the composition made of
the same two images.

Prudence and wisdom will create an agreement between
the two photographers and the artist(s) who created the
said composition. Possibly, it should cover provisions for
the selling, using or renting of the final publication.

Yep, I covered the contract talk with him right off the get go.  Apparently when the composite was created, it was just out of fun.  2 friends farting around with a couple images.  Then 9 months later the other photographer marketed the photo or was approached by a company (story get's hazy here) for exclusive rights to the photo for a very large book deal.  So that's where they are.  

4 years 8 months ago #652634 by garyrhook

Chester Foster wrote: Thank you Gary.  Actually this is for a friend of mine who had contributed an image and helped work on a composite that now has a decent size paycheck to it and the other person is trying to keep all the $$.  

Not too surprising. Your friend will at least learn a painful lesson, but I hope he gets more out of this than that.

Your friend should talk to a lawyer. He should also register, correctly, the image in question with the copyright office. I don't know if a signature is required, or just a name.

As pointed out above, there's also the copyright of the original images. That matters, too.

Your friend's "friend" is a creep. IMNSHO.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652743 by Steve Zahra
Damn that sucks, he friend gets greedy and will lose a friend.  Bad move. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652902 by icepics
I'm not sure what your friend can do; once you give someone your photo, it's gone and there's probably no getting it back. I think it would have been better to have something in writing if collaborating on a composite image. I'm sorry your friend had this happen and that the other person took it upon himself to market/sell/license usage of the composite image on his own.

Your friend could look on the US Copyright Office website and see what it says about works done in collaboration, I'm not sure how that works. He automatically owns copyright to any photos he takes, and I think he could register his image that went into the composite even after it may have been used/published. Supposedly registering a copyright can help in dealing with violations.

If your friend already received a payment I'm not clear on what else the other person is trying to do with the composite image. If the image was used there should have been a contract with a client that specified usage and a time frame and payment to each of the collaborators who created the composite.

Your friend could try looking at websites for pro photgraphers organizations like asmp.org and PPA and see if he can find anything about collaborative works.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652987 by Chester Foster
But how can it be proved that he 'gave' the photo to anyone?  It was just a project they both were working on together for fun and one person got $$ offered for the photo and tried to get sneaky with it. So my friend hasn't been paid a cent for the image. 

Gary - so are you saying though after the fact, he should still copyright the image?

4 years 8 months ago #653029 by garyrhook

Chester Foster wrote: Gary - so are you saying though after the fact, he should still copyright the image?

I'm saying that he should attempt to register the copyright, correctly. The other party may not have attempted to do that yet. It could prove handy; I don't know.

What we don't know is how your friend found out about this situation.

We also don't know if your friend has attempted to intervene by contacting the buyer and letting them know what's going on. Which could screw the whole deal, of course, but some people need painful lessons.

Has your friend simply asked the other person, "either we come to an agreement, or money gets spent on legal fees. How would you like to proceed?"

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653089 by Glen Mosley
What a sh%tty friend.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654520 by Tristan R
Hey Chester, what happened with this? 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654654 by icepics
I thought the friend had received an initial payment but apparently not... so I misunderstood that part of it. Gary's right I'm pretty sure, that the friend could still register the copyright.

What I meant by saying the friend gave the other guy the photo was that he provided it for the composite since they worked on it together. He could look into contacting the company who wants to use the image and issue a DMCA takedown notice regarding copyright violation. Then the company would know it was a collaboration and both photographers should be contracted with and paid for usage.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654661 by garyrhook

icepics wrote: What I meant by saying the friend gave the other guy the photo was that he provided it for the composite since they worked on it together. He could look into contacting the company who wants to use the image and issue a DMCA takedown notice regarding copyright violation. Then the company would know it was a collaboration and both photographers should be contracted with and paid for usage.

This. What the OP needs to understand is that he's not dead in the water. The composite contains copyrighted material: the original image created by each photographer (individual ownership), as well as the composite (joint ownership). If the "friend" misrepresents, no matter what, the OP can still go after the publisher. Then they'll go after the "friend".

The "friend" doesn't realize what kind of trouble he's bringing upon himself.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024