A bird pooped on my camera, what are the odds??

4 years 8 months ago #653065 by Amy Porter
:huh:  I woke up early this morning to photograph the sunrise.  I had my camera set up, and I walk back to my car to get a PowerBar and my coffee thermos.   It's about a 10 minute round trip  walk.   I get back and there is a big bird poop on my lens and camera body!

Green, white slimy mess :sick:

I have no napkins, nor anything to clean this with.  I walk back to my car and found 2 McDonald napkins under my seat.  I'm unable to get it fully cleared in the field as it's in the cracks.  Wipe it off and called it what it was.  

I'm back home and cleaned my camera.  

Will bird poop eat at the cameras coating if not cleaned right away?  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653069 by Nikon Shooter
There are still trace quantities of digestive acid in any
dejection. However, too low to represent any danger
upon a first contact.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NarayanPrajapati
4 years 8 months ago #653087 by Glen Mosley
Well that's a wakeup!  

I would have been grossed out as well.  Well it's good that you cleaned it up fast.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653214 by D Hornick
Isn't that considered good luck?  Although I think that is when a bird poops on you.  So perhaps good luck for your camera!  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653260 by MYoung

D Hornick wrote: Isn't that considered good luck?  Although I think that is when a bird poops on you.  So perhaps good luck for your camera!  

I'd rather have just the horse shoe vs bird crapping on my camera or me!  :rofl:

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653322 by Ian Stone
I always have individually wrapped whips on me.  Hearing your incident validates why this is a good idea. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653408 by Amy Porter
LOL, it's funny that you bring that up.  I have 2 packs now in my camera bag! 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653411 by Baydream
It can be especially bad when shooting raptors. Bald eagles leave a huge mess that can takes quite a long time to clean. QTips and a bit of clean water can make clean up easier. It took my wife' quite a while to get an eagle poop off her windshield. Leaving it too long can eat the paint right off the car.The streak out the back is impressive and usually contains fish. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653521 by Todd Floyd
I was reading the responses here and then got to yours with the bald eagle, and lost it! :rofl:   I'm guessing the back end drop from this bird would be HUGE! :rofl:

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653647 by Tim Wiener
You really want to make sure you clean it very well.  Depending on the birds diet, there could be some very nasty acids in their droppings.  I've seen bird droppings destroy paint on a car.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653809 by MYoung

Ian Stone wrote: I always have individually wrapped whips on me.  Hearing your incident validates why this is a good idea. 

I've started carrying these too.  They are hard to find.  The only place I can find the individual wrapped ones is on Amazon. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654592 by Owen
No kidding, good thing it wasn't a sea gull!  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660538 by Lilly28
Wow! That is bad luck (although some would say good luck)! :-)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024