Photo contest with bad rules

4 years 8 months ago #653103 by Sharna Lee
We have a weekly photography meetup up group and every so often will have a guest come in and speak.  This weeks guest was a local business owner who pitched the idea of his company sponsoring a photo contest.  First prize winner will get $125 and second place will get $35 and thirds will get announced on their Facebook page (which has 1137 fans).  Now here is where they started losing a few of us.  They stated that the winners would transfer all rights and usage of the winning photos to his company.   That these photos could then be used however his company wanted too. 

I've proposed we pass on this offer, as to me at least, it sounds to one sided.  And it isn't the photographers side.  Do you agree?

We are supposed to meet Friday night to discuss this.  Surprisingly there are a few in the meeting who didn't have any problems with it.  Well these photographers I know for a fact are semi new to the industry.  

How do you  feel about this?

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653104 by fmw
He wants to buy some images.  Do you want to sell?  If not, don't enter the contest.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653106 by Sharna Lee

fmw wrote: He wants to buy some images.  Do you want to sell?  If not, don't enter the contest.

I get that.  But you missed the point of my post.  We have a vote coming on Friday and I'm going to speaking about how this contest proposal sounds unethical.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653107 by garyrhook

Sharna Lee wrote:

fmw wrote: He wants to buy some images.  Do you want to sell?  If not, don't enter the contest.

I get that.  But you missed the point of my post.  We have a vote coming on Friday and I'm going to speaking about how this contest proposal sounds unethical.  

What you see as unethical others see as reasonable.

If you want to launch a crusade about copyright and images, then you'll want to be very clear about the value of that which this owner wants to be given away, free of charge. At least the expectation is that only the winners will have to surrender their rights.

One wonders what value the images will have to the sponsor? Why are they choosing to do this, and how do they benefit? Without more details it's difficult to discern possibilities.

People new to photography, especially the business side of it, don't usually understand the value if IP and have to be educated.

I don't surrender the rights to my images, ever. I'll sell them, sure.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653117 by Troponin

This is a great perspective, and one I had not thought of. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653118 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sharna Lee

Regrettably we in this community are seeing this more and more as businesses and media companies ask / demand / cajole images from the public for their own use for little or zero payment to the photographer.

Aussie media companies are following the overseas trends here ... they ask readers/viewers to send "full resolution" images to them for printing or display purposes, with the comment 'you will retain copyright and when used your images will be credited to you, but the image will become available for use across our organisation and associated entities' - with no expiry date offered.

As fmw & Gary mention above - it's your call ... do you want a few dollars for an image, or do you value your images and your personal integrity ~ ie: if you were contracted to supply paid images vs this mob simply seeking images by stealth

Personally - I do not engage with such businesses or media who request 'freebies'

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 8 months ago #653123 by Nikon Shooter

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: Personally - I do not engage with such businesses or media who request 'freebies'

:agree:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653124 by Sharna Lee
Exactly, seems kind of shady to me

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653231 by fmw

Ozzie_Traveller wrote:
Personally - I do not engage with such businesses or media who request 'freebies'

It isn't a freebie.  He is paying for the images with the cash awards.  It may not be enough.  It should not include the people who don't win a cash award.  Negotiate something suitable for everyone.  You act like the business is engaging in theft.  It isn't.  I has made a offer.  You can accept the offer, reject it or negotiate the details.  No need to be defensive about it.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653253 by MYoung
Sounds like they are trying to get some cheap photos.  

Pass. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653273 by Ian Stone
Yeah that doesn't look like a good deal for your group.  Put me down for a pass.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653365 by Ira Weber
Creepy way to get access to images.  Just my 3 cents.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653369 by Troponin
Just have three people enter the contest. Problem solved. :)

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653371 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: Just have three people enter the contest. Problem solved. :)

+1

I knew I liked you. :-D

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653396 by icepics
The usage being requested for the contest is inappropriate, especially asking participants to give up rights to their own photos, but I don't know if a local business owner would know that. It comes across like wanting unlimited usage for marketing etc. for only $200. That's waaay below commercial (business) pricing. Not sure this was the best choice of a speaker for a group of photographers.

Try pro photographers organizations like asmp.org or PPA for info. that will support your suggestion for the meetup group to pass on this.

I suppose if people individually want to do it on their own that's up to them. Seems to be a disadvantage of informal meetups compared to a club if people attend who are newer to photography and don't know much about usage of their photos, so this might be a good opportunity to help them get better informed.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024