Using Image stabilization and tripods

10 months 1 day ago #653399 by Nathan D
A few years back, you remember everyone was saying when on a tripod to always turn off your vibration reduction/ image stabilization.  

So is that still true?  

Most cameras have this built into the bodies and the lenses of course.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 months 1 day ago #653401 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, truer than ever.

In fact, the only inconvenient is that it interferes with a
quick focus acquisition. Otherwise, no damage done, it
just makes no sense to use it on a tripod — or preach it.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

10 months 1 day ago #653405 by Nathan D
So if you have it turned on in the body, you better learn how to turn it on and off quickly.  

Photo Comments

10 months 1 day ago #653409 by Shadowfixer1
I have never turned mine off whether on lens or in body. I have never had an issue with it. I've been doing it that way since the nineties. I have never seen what some people claim will happen with leaving it on. 

10 months 1 day ago #653410 by Baydream
If your tripod mount is stable, the VR or IS may misconstrue motion and actually add some movement. Turn it off and make sure you use proper stability actions to avoid movement. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

10 months 1 day ago #653416 by Sanford

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I have never turned mine off whether on lens or in body. I have never had an issue with it. I've been doing it that way since the nineties. I have never seen what some people claim will happen with leaving it on. 

I'm with you.  I have forgotten mine on so many times.   No issues.  

Photo Comments

10 months 1 day ago #653500 by Shadowfixer1

Baydream wrote: If your tripod mount is stable, the VR or IS may misconstrue motion and actually add some movement. Turn it off and make sure you use proper stability actions to avoid movement. 

Just curious. Have you actually had that happen or are you just repeating what you've heard? I have never talked to anyone about it that has had this happen. 

10 months 19 hours ago #653539 by fmw

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I have never turned mine off whether on lens or in body. I have never had an issue with it. I've been doing it that way since the nineties. I have never seen what some people claim will happen with leaving it on. 

And I have never used the feature.  I'm a fan of tripods.  Comes from my commercial photography background.

Photo Comments

10 months 18 hours ago #653544 by Joe Peterson

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Baydream wrote: If your tripod mount is stable, the VR or IS may misconstrue motion and actually add some movement. Turn it off and make sure you use proper stability actions to avoid movement. 

Just curious. Have you actually had that happen or are you just repeating what you've heard? I have never talked to anyone about it that has had this happen. 

Mine is always on and no issues noticed.  

Photo Comments

10 months 15 hours ago #653551 by Shadowfixer1
This issue was discussed in the Northrup podcast today.

9 months 4 weeks ago #653701 by Steve Zahra

Shadowfixer1 wrote: This issue was discussed in the Northrup podcast today.

What was the outcome?  I can't watch those guys.

Photo Comments

9 months 4 weeks ago #653789 by Shadowfixer1
Cameras with native lenses mounted made no difference whether stabilization was on or off. There was a difference with third party lenses like Sigma and Tamron. Switch stabilization off when using those on a tripod. I guess that is why I have never had an issue since I have only used native lenses.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Taking self-portraits requires the right gear and the right approach. Get critical portrait photography tips in this quick how-to guide.

May 28, 2020

Investing in right lights for YouTube video production is one of the best things you can do to improve the quality of your videos. Which right lights are right for you though? Find out in this buyer's guide!

May 28, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020