Shooting in Kelvin with your camera?

4 years 8 months ago #653427 by Todd Floyd
Late night snooping around and I found this article no Mastin Labs site about how to shoot in Kelvin:  https://www.mastinlabs.com/photoism/articles/how-to-shoot-in-kelvin

As I read this and sit back and thought about it, how is shooting in Kelvin giving you advantages over auto white balance?  When you consider how quickly these factors can be adjusted further in Lightroom and Photoshop, are there advantages?  In their article, they speak about this makes post processing faster, however moving the slider takes only seconds, and besides, if you need to adjust it, even with in Kelvin, that tosses that notion out the window.  

Care to give your 2 cents?  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #653428 by Nikon Shooter

Todd Floyd wrote: …how is shooting in Kelvin giving you advantages over auto white balance?

Hey Todd,

I am the first to recognise that WB is a most important parameter at PP
but only then — since it is not so critical at SR — I'm always on Auto WB.

What is important though, is to have a reference, any reference 1- within
the picture or 2- in another picture taken in exactly the same conditions.
  1. there should be an area that represent a neutral value
  2. a grey card may be snapped in the FoV prior to SR
This applies to any setup you may chose but, to simplify everything, I would
recommend to go the Auto WB way.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653444 by Todd Floyd
So would you say this topic is dated and just doesn't apply to newer cameras? 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653527 by garyrhook
Maybe I missed something, but I think that article is worthless.

Shoot a gray card or color passport, capture RAW images, and adjust in post.

What they fail to point out is, even if you shoot in Kelvin (what does that even mean?) you can adjust in post. They also ignore the possibility that you might want to capture the light as-is, not get something that is compensated. They also fail to point out that, outside, the light is constantly changing, so you have to constantly adjust. Or shoot a gray card.

Auto WB will help you get proper skin tones if you forget to measure the light. At least get it in the ballpark.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653531 by fmw
I agree with Gary.  If the color temperature is questionable be sure to capture the images in raw format.  That will allow you adjust color temp in the software.  Personally I use auto WB all the time and capture the images raw when I think it will need adjustment.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653561 by Pete Franko
Yep, keep it in Auto WB, easier and works perfectly fine.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653705 by CaptNemo
Yep, didn't get much value from that article.  I'm more of AWB guy.  Any other adjustments are done in LR.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653712 by Victoria A
+1 AWB and fix the rest in post.  Why complicate things? 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653857 by Photo Junky
IMO unless you are shooting in a studio for some super high end fashion shoot, shooting in Kelvin just over complicates things.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653870 by Nikon Shooter

Photo Junky wrote: IMO unless you are shooting in a studio for some super high end fashion shoot, shooting in Kelvin just over complicates things.  

The specified conditions won't change a thing in the workflow.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653918 by Kenya See
 Never shoot anything besides AWB

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653981 by Garbo
+1 just AWB here and adjust in LR 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024