Shooting in Kelvin with your camera?

3 months 2 weeks ago #653427 by Todd Floyd
Late night snooping around and I found this article no Mastin Labs site about how to shoot in Kelvin:  https://www.mastinlabs.com/photoism/articles/how-to-shoot-in-kelvin

As I read this and sit back and thought about it, how is shooting in Kelvin giving you advantages over auto white balance?  When you consider how quickly these factors can be adjusted further in Lightroom and Photoshop, are there advantages?  In their article, they speak about this makes post processing faster, however moving the slider takes only seconds, and besides, if you need to adjust it, even with in Kelvin, that tosses that notion out the window.  

Care to give your 2 cents?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #653428 by Nikon Shooter

Todd Floyd wrote: …how is shooting in Kelvin giving you advantages over auto white balance?

Hey Todd,

I am the first to recognise that WB is a most important parameter at PP
but only then — since it is not so critical at SR — I'm always on Auto WB.

What is important though, is to have a reference, any reference 1- within
the picture or 2- in another picture taken in exactly the same conditions.
  1. there should be an area that represent a neutral value
  2. a grey card may be snapped in the FoV prior to SR
This applies to any setup you may chose but, to simplify everything, I would
recommend to go the Auto WB way.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

3 months 2 weeks ago #653444 by Todd Floyd
So would you say this topic is dated and just doesn't apply to newer cameras? 

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #653527 by garyrhook
Maybe I missed something, but I think that article is worthless.

Shoot a gray card or color passport, capture RAW images, and adjust in post.

What they fail to point out is, even if you shoot in Kelvin (what does that even mean?) you can adjust in post. They also ignore the possibility that you might want to capture the light as-is, not get something that is compensated. They also fail to point out that, outside, the light is constantly changing, so you have to constantly adjust. Or shoot a gray card.

Auto WB will help you get proper skin tones if you forget to measure the light. At least get it in the ballpark.

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #653531 by fmw
I agree with Gary.  If the color temperature is questionable be sure to capture the images in raw format.  That will allow you adjust color temp in the software.  Personally I use auto WB all the time and capture the images raw when I think it will need adjustment.

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #653561 by Pete Franko
Yep, keep it in Auto WB, easier and works perfectly fine.  

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #653705 by CaptNemo
Yep, didn't get much value from that article.  I'm more of AWB guy.  Any other adjustments are done in LR.  

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #653712 by Victoria A
+1 AWB and fix the rest in post.  Why complicate things? 

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #653857 by Photo Junky
IMO unless you are shooting in a studio for some super high end fashion shoot, shooting in Kelvin just over complicates things.  

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #653870 by Nikon Shooter

Photo Junky wrote: IMO unless you are shooting in a studio for some super high end fashion shoot, shooting in Kelvin just over complicates things.  

The specified conditions won't change a thing in the workflow.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

3 months 2 weeks ago #653918 by Kenya See
 Never shoot anything besides AWB

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #653981 by Garbo
+1 just AWB here and adjust in LR 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of filter kits to choose from, but many of them offer subpar build quality and results. That's not the case with the Haida M10 Filter Kit, which might be the ultimate landscape filter kit on the market today.

Nov 15, 2019

If you're a beginner and you want to explore black and white photography, consult these quick black and white photography tips to get started.

Nov 13, 2019

Winter photography can be a challenge for sure. But with these tips for winter photography, you can prepare yourself (and your gear) to get the best shots.

Nov 13, 2019

One of the critical aspects of creating awesome vlogs is having footage that's stabilized. With these methods for how to stabilize a camera, you'll have plenty of options for smooth video.

Nov 13, 2019

Photo by Cristian Grecu on Unsplash A Chinese university student tumbled off of one of China's largest mountains to her in death...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Karina on Unsplash Who among us doesn't have the intrinsically human desire to get absolutely smashed, incredibly naked...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Tim Bennett on Unsplash In a year of continuously bad news for Facebook, it turns out the iOS Facebook app has been...

Nov 12, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019