How to take high quality photos of clear glass pipes and glass products?

4 years 8 months ago #653671 by [email protected]
I started an online store to sell glass pipes and other tobacco accessories. I am trying to take high quality photos of my glass products in a photo tent using the sunlight as lighting. The products seem invisible and very hard to see and almost too bright. I'm not sure what the problem is. 

I'll include my photo and a photo from another website selling similar products. As you can see, their photo looks much better.

I'm using a Samsung note 8. I've heard of people getting good results using this phone to take photos. 

Attachments:
4 years 8 months ago #653674 by Nikon Shooter
Tobacco… really?  :rofl:

I would never consider taking pictures with a phone… just me!

Glass is a bit difficult. Whatever is behind will be seen, whatever lights
from the front will be reflected and whatever is coming from the sides
will kill the edges.

A tent a great for darker, opaque, with a mat surface object and glass
shares none of these.

For this kind of results, I would suggest you hire a pro with portfolio

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653691 by Moe
LOL I was thinking the same thing

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653737 by Tim Chiang
:agree:  You can get a used DSLR pretty cheap these days.  Like anything having the right tools make can make all  the difference.  

Try KEH.com or MPB.com

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653853 by Photo Junky
This should help you photograph your tobacco pipes (wink wink)

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653938 by [email protected]
Thanks for the responses.  I watched sone videos on shooting glass ware.  It says to use a studio soft box for the back ground, and have the lighting come from behind.  Also says to set the item on reflective plexi-glass.  I haven't tried with plexi glass yet..but am getting much better results using the softbox...but still not the results I want.

Back ground is not white enough at all..   See the two pics of only the soft box.. its bright white all over when I first aim my camera at it, but after it focuses it starts looking bad and you can see where the bulb is.   Is there a way to change my camera settings on my phone to make the box staring bright white all over?  

DO I have no hope doing what I want to do with a camera phone?  if not, what is the cheapest DSLR Camera I need to buy to do what I need?

Thanks for all your help.

Attachments:
4 years 8 months ago #653939 by [email protected]
Sorry for typos, I can't figure out how to edit my post.

4 years 8 months ago #653945 by icepics
Buy a camera and learn how to do product photography, or hire a pro photographer.

There are videos, courses/workshops etc. if you want to learn to do it yourself. I agree that buying a used camera could be a good option, and it will be a matter of learning how to use it and getting in some practice to get good at it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653948 by Nikon Shooter

[email protected] wrote: Sorry for typos, I can't figure out how to edit my post.

An edit is possible, on this forum, only until another
member replies to your post… annoying, I know!

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654027 by [email protected]

icepics wrote: Buy a camera and learn how to do product photography, or hire a pro photographer.

There are videos, courses/workshops etc. if you want to learn to do it yourself. I agree that buying a used camera could be a good option, and it will be a matter of learning how to use it and getting in some practice to get good at it.

So what is the cheapest DSLR Camera you would recommend that would work with taking good product photos like this?  

4 years 8 months ago #654028 by [email protected]

Photo Junky wrote: This should help you photograph your tobacco pipes (wink wink)

Thanks for the video.  In this picture, he mentions a softbox with a speedlight?  What is a speed light?  Does he have it in his soft box?

4 years 8 months ago #654029 by [email protected]

Photo Junky wrote: This should help you photograph your tobacco pipes (wink wink)

Thanks for the video.  In this video, he mentions a softbox with a speedlight?  What is a speed light?  Does he have it in his soft box?

4 years 8 months ago #654040 by Nikon Shooter
A speed light is the newer name of the know but
old manual flashgun. The speed light may be used
on or off camera.

This guy in the video looks and sounds like someone
who just discovered a new trick and making a video
about it before even mastering it correctly.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654071 by [email protected]
So I got a Nikon D3300 with a 28-105mm Tamron Lens & battery, charger & bag for $220 on Ebay.   Sells says its in excellent condition and barely used.  Will this do what I need?

4 years 8 months ago #654072 by [email protected]
Also, is $220 a good deal for that?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024