Starting up a photography tour business?

4 years 7 months ago #653817 by MM Images
I'm on the fence about this as it's only an idea someone gave me.  Recently we have been doing some traveling and attended a couple photography workshops.  My wifes friend brought up something I have never considered.  That is starting up a photography tour business.  After all tours seem to be big, I know certain areas very well.  But what else should be considered?  I'm not 100% on this yet.  Just considering from a distance and factoring in all 'to do's', 'would be nice' and 'legally obligated'.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #653829 by garyrhook
You want to:
  1. join Ugo Cei's The Travelling Image Maker's Corner group on Facebook
  2. follow Ralph Velasco's travel photography podcast
  3. attend one of his free introductory webcasts on starting a photo tour business
IMHO, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #653833 by icepics
Have you ever been the one who's responsible for anything at all like this? I've been a day camp/overnight camp program director, etc. ANYTHING that happens on the tour will be your responsibility.

You'd have to think about having a first aid kit with you, and if you haven't already, get first aid/CPR training. It may never happen, and thankfully I never had any serious emergencies, but what if it does? What if somebody becomes ill, is injured, etc. - what will be your plan to get them any medical help as needed and continue with the tour. What if somebody can't get their credit card to work, can't pay for meals on the tour (unless it's local and doesn't include meals/hotels, etc.).

Besides insurance coverage, there's a lot to think about.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #653835 by icepics
It looks like the Photo Enrichment tours are actually provided thru local tour operators and 'partners' so the guy doing the blog/website isn't actually leading the tours himself.

Guess that would have to be something else to consider if you wouldn't be the one personally responsible for conducting the tours but would have some responsibility as a business owner running the tours that are provided by someone else. Not sure how liablility comes into that.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #653839 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day MM

I had this idea / plan a decade ago for small groups of motorhome / caravan people to do a 7-day tour to selected parts of outback Oz x 6 tours per year. All the plans seemed beaut until the Public Liability insurance raised its ugly head.  The best quote the broker came up with was $au7000 pa premium [double this for today's dollars]. The plan died at that point

edit-
I have just seen some adverts for commercial photo tours across Oz ~

a 14-day tour is offered at $us1500pp with a 21-day tour offered for $us3000pp - each requiring your own caravan or motorhome.  Included in the price offerings are 2x lunches, 2x evening meals and all happy hour nibbles to eat.  Entry to 3rd-party locations is not included in the base price

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 7 months ago #653909 by EOS Man

garyrhook wrote: You want to:

1. join Ugo Cei's The Travelling Image Maker's Corner group on Facebook
  2. follow Ralph Velasco's travel photography podcast
  3. attend one of his free introductory webcasts on starting a photo tour business
IMHO, of course.

+1 and check with city/area to which you want to give tours in to see what sort of permits are needed.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #654164 by Tristan R
Make sure you are expert in the areas that you want to run.  Too many tour companies are just showing areas they want to travel too, but don't know well.  And consumers get the short end of the stick. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024