How many square feet for studio?

7 months 4 weeks ago #654179 by CatherineW
I know much of this has to do with budget, so just to be clear that isn't part of my question.  I want to know how many square feet can I get away with for a studio.  I've started looking around at places and noticing sizes are starting around 400sq ft and on the high end upwards of 3000 square feet, which is larger than my home.  

If you were setting up a studio for portraits, how many square feet would you say would be a minimum needed?  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 4 weeks ago #654180 by Nikon Shooter

CatherineW wrote: If you were setting up a studio for portraits, how many square feet would you say would be a minimum needed?  

For that purpose, portraits — say waist up — not much. A well
know chain of photo supplies manages with cubicles no more
than +/- 8'x5'. 

I used to have a fairly larger studio in the days but now I have
21'+30' and that is enough for all my needs nowadays… not on-
ly portraits but full figures and families too, and table top work.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

7 months 4 weeks ago #654183 by Janos
Mine is 12.6' x 14'.  It's not huge, but it works for me.  Most of what I shoot is in the field anyway.  

Photo Comments

7 months 4 weeks ago #654196 by CharleyL
It will depend a lot on what props and gear you have. You might want to view Irene Rudnyk's latest YouTube video. She shot portraits of her sister using outside light and the front half of her backyard storage shed. It can be done.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvxMnqJQHkc&t=0s   No gear at all other than a reflector, a backdrop and cameras.

My present studio is 17 X 26' and is a former 2nd master bedroom in the upper floor of my home. I have a 6 X 10 closet off this room for the gear storage, but I have 10' wide ceiling mounted backdrops on rollers, air conditioning, and a makeup area with fridge and coffee in the 7 X 13' hallway at the top of the stairs. I'm doing quite well in this space. 

Charley

7 months 4 weeks ago #654223 by Peter Nunez
+1 CharleyL made some good points.  

OP - will you be using this space full time?  Are you looking to have any other people working with you? 

Photo Comments

7 months 3 weeks ago #654324 by Carry
500 to 700 should be fine for a smaller studio.  

Photo Comments

7 months 3 weeks ago #654327 by Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter wrote: … now I have 21'+30' and that is enough for all my needs nowadays… not only portraits but full figures and families too, and table top work.

When I moved my operations some 18 months ago, I took
this shot of the new studio in a charming country house.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Mpix is a popular online printer. But the question is, are Mpix products like their metal prints worth the price? Find out in this Mpix metal print review!

Apr 03, 2020

This best cameras for beginners 2020 list includes the best DSLRs for beginners and the best mirrorless cameras for beginners at affordable prices.

Apr 02, 2020

real estate photography business, improve your real estate photography business, tips for improving your real estate photography business, real estate photography business tips

Apr 01, 2020

Learning how to become a professional photographer might not be as hard as you think. With these tips on becoming a freelance photographer, you'll be able to get the process started more quickly.

Apr 01, 2020

The Haida M15 filter system is a great piece of photography gear that allows me to use the same filters with many different camera lenses.

Apr 01, 2020

If you're in need of some good reads during the pandemic, give this list of the best photography books a try. Each one is an Amazon best selling photography book!

Apr 01, 2020

Believing these photography myths can get you in a lot of trouble. Instead, use these photography tips and techniques to prepare yourself to build a better business.

Apr 01, 2020

To protect your camera gear (and your monetary investment), there are a few things you need to do. One of them is to use a bag that will protect your camera gear from breakage.

Mar 31, 2020