Cold Shoe Handle for DSLR Cameras

4 years 8 months ago #654336 by Scott Klubeck
Have any of you used one of these Cold Shoe Handles for your DSLR Camera and had damage occur from carrying it around with one of these:  https://www.adorama.com/sr2094.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=adl-gbase  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654344 by Shadowfixer1
No way would I do that. That is a very weak point on the body.
4 years 8 months ago #654350 by Ozzie_Traveller
+1 here too
The flash / hot-shoe part of the camera is NOT designed to be stretched from above via a carry handle - and the tiny screws holding the hot-shoe to the body will break all too easily. From the web images it appears to me to be someone's idea of a cheap video-cam gimbal device ...

If it were mine I think I would use a $20 flash bracket like this one ~ at the very least, it screws into the tripod thread which we know to be secure
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/774435-RE...e_Flash_Bracket.html

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 8 months ago #654423 by garyrhook
I can't imagine why anyone would think that was a good idea.

They make rigs that support bodies from the bottom, using the tripod mount, and that's what should be used. That device is asinine.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654473 by Rudy Silvo
Hey Scott, while it's your camera.  I wouldn't support my camera that way.  Get yourself a cage.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654478 by Scott Klubeck
Thanks everyone, yeah, after I posted that and thought about it further, I decided against it.  I'll just get a cage.  Thank you.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654518 by Tristan R
Hey Scott, hell no on that handle in your hot shoe.  +1 cage. 

BTW check your PM, I responded to your email.  later!  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654600 by Owen
Not a chance would I use that, I would be surprised that hot shoe would hold up very long before it started showing signs of getting loose.   

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654743 by Colorado Mike
That looks like a good way to jack up your camera.   Not a chance bro, that would over time, with out a doubt, mess up your camera.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654754 by Piechura
It's presumably designed for video. Stick it on, use it to get a low tracking shot, then take it off again. I don't think it's designed for carrying your camera around. Having said that, yeah I wouldn't use it, I'd get some sort of cage.

4 years 8 months ago #654774 by Nikon Shooter
I don't do videos myself but my best friend — who is a pro video
producer — and I had lunch today and he suggests that the only
way to go is through a cage.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024