Photographing Europe from train travel?

4 years 8 months ago #654746 by Andy Gladwell
We are planning a land in Amsterdam and travel down to Rome trip in December.  So there will be snowing landscapes (hopefully), which also means crappy road conditions.  

Have any of you traveled via the Euro Rail system there?  We are thinking about the train system to avoid driving on potentially bad road conditions.  That way we can enjoy the trip more.  While on the topic, I want to photograph as much as I can.  Is it possible when confined to being on the rail routes?

4 years 8 months ago #654757 by Nikon Shooter
The very good european rail system will not disappoint you
in any way, clean and on schedule… but not cheap. What is?
From north to south: top euro standards! :)

Andy Gladwell wrote: I want to photograph as much as I can.  Is it possible when confined to being on the rail routes?

Don't forget that your traveling in winter…  windows may be
frosted and opening them will not make everyone happy.

If I were you, for a photo exploration trip, I would take a car.

… and when you are in Austria, just drop by! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654762 by Piechura

Nikon Shooter wrote: Don't forget that your traveling in winter…  windows may be

I think you'd struggle to find a window that opens on a lot of trains nowadays.

4 years 8 months ago #654763 by garyrhook
And you'll be moving far too fast to capture a decent image from the train. Not to say that it can't be done (see below), but you'll be limited.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654766 by Andy Gladwell

Nikon Shooter wrote: The very good european rail system will not disappoint you
in any way, clean and on schedule… but not cheap. What is?
From north to south: top euro standards! :)

Andy Gladwell wrote: I want to photograph as much as I can.  Is it possible when confined to being on the rail routes?

Don't forget that your traveling in winter…  windows may be

If I were you, for a photo exploration trip, I would take a car.

… and when you are in Austria, just drop by! :P

Good tips, thank you.  Is that where you live in Austria?  If so, talk about a gold mind of landscapes to pick from!  

4 years 8 months ago #654770 by Nikon Shooter

Andy Gladwell wrote: Is that where you live in Austria?

Yes, I came to Europe for a 9 month assignment thirty years ago
and a job leading to an other, I decided to to stay.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654778 by Andy Gladwell

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Andy Gladwell wrote: Is that where you live in Austria?

Yes, I came to Europe for a 9 month assignment thirty years ago
and a job leading to an other, I decided to to stay.

WOW, so you are in the heart of some of the most beautiful places on this planet! How often are you getting out over there with your camera?  

4 years 8 months ago #654782 by Nikon Shooter
If there is one thing I learned, it is that the planet is beautiful
everywhere — it was at least!

I'm out almost everyday for different jobs but I don't miss, when
possible, any chance to go image hunting.

Most of my work is in the publishing end of it so that fits me well.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654783 by Nikon Shooter

Piechura wrote: I think you'd struggle to find a window that opens on a lot of trains nowadays.

Correct. All major circuits have modern coaches but there are
still locals with a somewhat more romantic cars — that will not
cross borders though.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654826 by Andy Gladwell

garyrhook wrote: And you'll be moving far too fast to capture a decent image from the train. Not to say that it can't be done (see below), but you'll be limited.

Where was this taken?

4 years 8 months ago #654827 by Andy Gladwell

Nikon Shooter wrote: If there is one thing I learned, it is that the planet is beautiful
everywhere — it was at least!

I'm out almost everyday for different jobs but I don't miss, when
possible, any chance to go image hunting.

Most of my work is in the publishing end of it so that fits me well.

Gotcha, what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

4 years 8 months ago #654829 by Nikon Shooter
Until my sons will take over, I continue my business with
a change in the directions. 65% of my time goes in the
publishing, 30% to my corporate clients and 5% for bits
and pieces.

This includes photography, post- production, and layouts
— that should suffice me while reducing private jobs. Many
events and concerts, and image hunting for the different
publishers I've been working with since years.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654881 by garyrhook

Andy Gladwell wrote: Where was this taken?

On the train from Cork to Dublin. I don't think it's geotagged so can't tell you precisely.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654903 by Carlos
Hey Andy, do you plan on staying at any locations along the way?  If so, some places don't take long to find some great spots to photograph. 

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655016 by Otto F

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024