Why are there not more f/1.8 lenses from Nikon, Canon and Sony?

2 months 5 days ago #654776 by Uplander
Have you noticed how many f/1.8 lenses that Sigma has been spitting out over the years?  Why don't we see Nikon and the rest of the crew cranking these out vs the f/2.8 lenses?  

70-200mm f/1.8  :drool:

Oh damn, you know that would be a work of art!

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 5 days ago #654785 by Nikon Shooter
My 200mm ƒ2 cost 5k. A ƒ 1-8 would cost ??? Now
imagine a ƒ 1.8 70~200 mm zoom!!!

Still wondering why are there not more f/1.8 lenses?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

2 months 5 days ago #654786 by Nikon Shooter
Addendum

… and my 200~400 mm ƒ 4 was in the area of 6K
A ƒ 1.8 …???

2 months 4 days ago #654883 by garyrhook
There's another thread on here regarding the question of why there isn't a 70-300 f/2.8. The OP asserted that technology could make that happen.

Unfortunately, physics doesn't care about your technology. There are physical requirements to let in enough light, and make the lenses large enough, to allow for that.

Aside from the cost, mentioned above, you'd have a very bulky lens, probably a very heavy lens, and it would very challenging to get the IQ acceptable across the image.

Yes, Sigma is making f/1.8 lenses, but you'll note that the longest is still only 85mm. Which is not that big a deal. Nikon makes an f/1.4 105mm, and a 135mm f/2 lens. After that, no go. (Can't comment on Canon, but since their flange is larger, they maybe could go a bit longer at a wider opening.)

The 300mm f/2.8 Nikon (prime) weighs 8 pounds (3.5kg). It just gets worse from there. There's a limit to what can be done at a given aperture.

Photo Comments

2 months 4 days ago #654908 by Sawyer
Dude, can you imagine though a 70-200mm f/1.8???

Hell yeah! 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #655049 by Paris Gal
That would be nice, but it would be so heavy I bet.  Not to mention expenSIVE! 

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #655123 by NickSano
70-200mm is what, $2800 these days?  f/1.8 would push this price close to $4000.  Not to mention, I bet this thing would be HEAVY.  I'll keep my current f/2.8 thank you.

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #655152 by D Hornick
:agree: 

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #655160 by J Photo Man
Dude that would be a crazy heavy lens and expensive.  I don't think the market would support such a lens, not at least from a volume standpoint.  

Photo Comments

2 months 1 day ago #655256 by D Hornick

J Photo Man wrote: Dude that would be a crazy heavy lens and expensive.  I don't think the market would support such a lens, not at least from a volume standpoint.  

Understatement!  After I posted yesterday I was thinking about the weight, it would be nuts.  

Photo Comments

2 months 1 day ago #655262 by garyrhook

D Hornick wrote:

J Photo Man wrote: Dude that would be a crazy heavy lens and expensive.  I don't think the market would support such a lens, not at least from a volume standpoint.  

Understatement!  After I posted yesterday I was thinking about the weight, it would be nuts.  

Right. Because no one mentioned weight earlier in this thread. Or cost.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 day ago #655268 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: …Or cost.

No one?

2 months 1 day ago - 2 months 1 day ago #655297 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: …Or cost.

No one?

Language barrier. I'll let Google Translate help me out here. I can't vouch for grammatical correctness.

Mon commentaire se situait quelque part entre le sarcastique, le facétieux et le sardonique. Je ne suis pas sûr du mot approprié.

I wish people would read the entire thread.

Photo Comments

2 months 8 hours ago #655394 by D Hornick

garyrhook wrote:

D Hornick wrote:

Right. Because no one mentioned weight earlier in this thread. Or cost.

Hey why so rude?  I didn't say or suggest I was the first to bring this up.  I was just saying that I had thought about this.  It's a forum, I'm just adding to the discussion based on what was on my mind.  

Photo Comments

2 months 7 hours ago #655395 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: Language barrier. I'll let Google Translate help me out here. I can't vouch for grammatical correctness.

Mon commentaire se situait quelque part entre le sarcastique, le facétieux et le sardonique. Je ne suis pas sûr du mot approprié.

I wish people would read the entire thread.

Sorry Gary but, at my level in your language,
many subtleties are still escaping me.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

In the Nikon Z7 vs Sony a9 shootout, which camera comes out on top? They're evenly matched with excellent features, but both cameras definitely shine in different areas.

Sep 23, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

I've had the Haida M10 filter system for about a week now, and first impressions are that it is a high-quality, well-built kit that could very well become my go-to filter kit.

Oct 16, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video If you're really strapped for cash, we've got the photography job for you: professional pigeon scarer.  There's a...

Oct 16, 2019

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019

While the Sony a9 II is not a huge leap forward from the a9, there are some critical updates that make it a better camera, specifically for professionals.

Oct 11, 2019