Why are there not more f/1.8 lenses from Nikon, Canon and Sony?

4 years 8 months ago #654776 by Uplander
Have you noticed how many f/1.8 lenses that Sigma has been spitting out over the years?  Why don't we see Nikon and the rest of the crew cranking these out vs the f/2.8 lenses?  

70-200mm f/1.8  :drool:

Oh damn, you know that would be a work of art!

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654785 by Nikon Shooter
My 200mm ƒ2 cost 5k. A ƒ 1-8 would cost ??? Now
imagine a ƒ 1.8 70~200 mm zoom!!!

Still wondering why are there not more f/1.8 lenses?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654786 by Nikon Shooter
Addendum

… and my 200~400 mm ƒ 4 was in the area of 6K
A ƒ 1.8 …???

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654883 by garyrhook
There's another thread on here regarding the question of why there isn't a 70-300 f/2.8. The OP asserted that technology could make that happen.

Unfortunately, physics doesn't care about your technology. There are physical requirements to let in enough light, and make the lenses large enough, to allow for that.

Aside from the cost, mentioned above, you'd have a very bulky lens, probably a very heavy lens, and it would very challenging to get the IQ acceptable across the image.

Yes, Sigma is making f/1.8 lenses, but you'll note that the longest is still only 85mm. Which is not that big a deal. Nikon makes an f/1.4 105mm, and a 135mm f/2 lens. After that, no go. (Can't comment on Canon, but since their flange is larger, they maybe could go a bit longer at a wider opening.)

The 300mm f/2.8 Nikon (prime) weighs 8 pounds (3.5kg). It just gets worse from there. There's a limit to what can be done at a given aperture.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654908 by Sawyer
Dude, can you imagine though a 70-200mm f/1.8???

Hell yeah! 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655049 by Paris Gal
That would be nice, but it would be so heavy I bet.  Not to mention expenSIVE! 

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655123 by NickSano
70-200mm is what, $2800 these days?  f/1.8 would push this price close to $4000.  Not to mention, I bet this thing would be HEAVY.  I'll keep my current f/2.8 thank you.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655152 by D Hornick
:agree: 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655160 by J Photo Man
Dude that would be a crazy heavy lens and expensive.  I don't think the market would support such a lens, not at least from a volume standpoint.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655256 by D Hornick

J Photo Man wrote: Dude that would be a crazy heavy lens and expensive.  I don't think the market would support such a lens, not at least from a volume standpoint.  

Understatement!  After I posted yesterday I was thinking about the weight, it would be nuts.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655262 by garyrhook

D Hornick wrote:

J Photo Man wrote: Dude that would be a crazy heavy lens and expensive.  I don't think the market would support such a lens, not at least from a volume standpoint.  

Understatement!  After I posted yesterday I was thinking about the weight, it would be nuts.  

Right. Because no one mentioned weight earlier in this thread. Or cost.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655268 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: …Or cost.

No one?

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #655297 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: …Or cost.

No one?

Language barrier. I'll let Google Translate help me out here. I can't vouch for grammatical correctness.

Mon commentaire se situait quelque part entre le sarcastique, le facétieux et le sardonique. Je ne suis pas sûr du mot approprié.

I wish people would read the entire thread.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655394 by D Hornick

garyrhook wrote:

D Hornick wrote:

Right. Because no one mentioned weight earlier in this thread. Or cost.

Hey why so rude?  I didn't say or suggest I was the first to bring this up.  I was just saying that I had thought about this.  It's a forum, I'm just adding to the discussion based on what was on my mind.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655395 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: Language barrier. I'll let Google Translate help me out here. I can't vouch for grammatical correctness.

Mon commentaire se situait quelque part entre le sarcastique, le facétieux et le sardonique. Je ne suis pas sûr du mot approprié.

I wish people would read the entire thread.

Sorry Gary but, at my level in your language,
many subtleties are still escaping me.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024