Record audio seperate or in camera?

4 years 8 months ago #655149 by Karen Russell
I picked up a Canon EOS R, and getting into more video.  Is it better to record audio separate or from within the camera?  

Or does it not make a difference?  

Thank you

Karen

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655155 by NickSano
You'll get better sounding audio if you record separate.  If you have a mic like a Rode Video Mic Pro plugged into a Zoom H4 or H5.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655300 by Stanly
If you have the $$ to get separate audio recording device, this will be much better.  +Zoom H4 or Shure VP83F mic.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655352 by Piechura
If you're just using a Rode Videomic pro, the you can probably get away with a Zoom H1N for half the price of the H4N. If you think you'll be using more professional microphones, then something with XLR inputs like the H4N is vital. Although I've got one and personally I'd buy something with proper dials for the audio levels, because the button interface isn't great. The H5 and H6 both have them. I don't know them as well, but Tascam also do some well-reviewed audio recorders. At the basic level, these audio recorders all have built in microphones, so you can use them by themselves and they'll still be an improvement on your in camera audio, because you can get them right next to your subject.

The problem with using separate audio is then of course you need to sync sound, which means you'll either have to clapperboard everything you shoot, or you can get software like PluralEyes that does it automatically (but costs about $300). It also generally means that you need someone else to operate it, unless you're in a very controlled situation where you can set everything up beforehand (a sit down interview, for example). Separate audio adds to your workflow, so you have to work out whether it's worth it to you. Most of the time, it's good to at least have the option, because there might be times when you want to get the microphone close to the subject but keep the camera far away (maybe you're using a longer lens) and you can't do this if the microphone is attached to the camera.

Another option is to buy a preamp that allows you to use more professional microphones, but gives you full control over the audio levels. This gives the advantage of being able to use a proper camera but still have it record to the same file as the video. Here's a quick video .

4 years 8 months ago #655438 by Dana Leeson
Not 100%.  You don't need clapperboard or expensive software.  Well assuming you have FCPX you can select your video file and audio file and right click on them both and click synchronize clips and it does it within seconds for you.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655482 by Karen Russell
So unless I'm missing something here, getting the Shure VP83F would be a smaller foot print because it's a mic and external recorder in one right?  

BTW thank you all for all the help!  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655491 by Piechura

Dana Leeson wrote: Not 100%.  You don't need clapperboard or expensive software.  Well assuming you have FCPX you can select your video file and audio file and right click on them both and click synchronize clips and it does it within seconds for you.  

Ah, it's moved on since I last used these things. Adobe Premiere does it too now.

I'm not sure if either of them can do what Pluraleyes can do and literally import everything and sync it all in one go though.

4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #655495 by Piechura

Karen Russell wrote: So unless I'm missing something here, getting the Shure VP83F would be a smaller foot print because it's a mic and external recorder in one right?  

BTW thank you all for all the help!  

I guess so. It's not a microphone I'm particularly familiar with, but it will probably record better quality files because you can record uncompressed WAV files, which your camera can't. It's worth mentioning that the audio recorders mentioned also have decent quality microphones on them, but they're stereo microphones in an X/Y pattern, so they're better for recording environmental sound, whereas the Shure would be more directional. The Zoom H5 and H6 though do have the option of changing the attached microphones, albeit for extra money. They are also obviously not as easy to attach to a camera in a way that doesn't get in the way.

4 years 8 months ago #655511 by Nathan D
Are there any other mics like the Shure? With the built in mic and audio recorder? 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655555 by Shadowfixer1
Olympus makes one.
4 years 8 months ago #655635 by Finn
You have a link for that one? 

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #655942 by Carry
Why hasn't Rode come out with an all in one recorder? 

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656059 by Garbo
Plus one for Shure

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024