Zeiss and Leica lens built to same specs?

4 weeks 6 hours ago #655926 by Ontherocks
Hey guys, when it comes to elite glass, would you say Zeiss and Leica are made to the same high standards or is one overall better than the other? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 weeks 4 hours ago #655930 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day OTR

There are several possible answers to this very generic question -
a) both companies have a very long history of designing and producing high quality lenses for more than 'just cameras'
b) in today's economic climate, [photographic] lenses are produced to sell in specific $$ ranges ... broadly 'consumer' and 'professional'
c) each of the above will have a series of marketing decisions mapped out long before we even see or hear about the item- and we will hopefuly respond by purchasing the item ... to keep the company financially viable

Bottom line ~ if you choose to buy one of these items, overall you should be happy with the results

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 weeks 5 days ago #656165 by Cathy Kadolph
Out of curiosity, do they offer tours of these manufacturing plants?

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments

3 weeks 5 days ago #656174 by fmw
It may be interesting for the OP to know neither of these companies manufactures all their lenses.  Zeiss certainly designs the lenses but manufacture only the lenses made for Hasselblad.  The rest are manufactured in Japan by Cosina.  They are fine lenses.  I own two of them.

I use the Fuji X system and I can assure you that the Fuji lenses are every bit as good as the Zeiss branded products made for the system.

The last Leica lens I owned was made by 'Minolta in Japan.  I'm not sure who makes current Leica lenses but I would be surprised if all of them are made by Leitz.

You should note that country of origin is a poor indicator of quality and performance in this day and age.  Except for some obvious examples, it is pretty hard to buy a bad lens today.  There is a price to be paid for having the label of these iconic brands.  I recommend them for quality and performance and recommend against them for value.

Photo Comments

3 weeks 5 days ago #656215 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

To follow on from above, I have run Panasonic cameras for many years - following Fuji superzoom and a Pentax with Sigma lenses. Some Panasonic cameras come with Leica branded lenses, others come with 'Panasonic' lenses

I have found that the Leica branded lenses have extremely good performance - sharpness & overall lack of / reduced chromatic aberrations - more than good enough for me :)

Some years back when I upgraded from the Panny FZ-30 with its 12x Leica branded zoom lens to a Pentax with a Sigma 28-135 APO and the Sigma 70-300 APO lenses, under my comparitive testing using same targets and same lighting conditions, the Sigma lenses were not as sharp as the Leica zoom on the Panasonic

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

With these innovative camera accessories, you can extend the functionality and ease of use of your camera and give yourself a better ability to capture the beauty around you.

Sep 12, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019