OK to copy other photographers work?

4 years 7 months ago #655953 by Roman Omell
Another photographer and I got into a heated discussion today.  I was saying it's OK to copy other photographers work when you get started.  

Hear me out - reasoning is to get inspired and learn what it takes to get such shots.  Then you can take that you have learn and alter it and come up with your own spin on the shot.  Kind of like reverse engineering. 

Anyway this other photographer called me an idiot and "what is wrong with photography today" . 

Am I wrong here?

Please let me know your honest view.  Thanks!

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #655954 by Piechura
I don't believe there's a single photographer in the world that doesn't copy other people's work. It's a question of extent, but yeah when you're starting out at anything, I don't see any problem with trying to recreate something you've seen as a learning exercise. It's funny, because no-one would ever have a problem with musicians learning by playing other people's songs, but with visual arts, it's a big no-no for some people. Certainly though taking photos in the style of someone else is something that everyone has probably done, whether consciously or not.

4 years 7 months ago #655960 by Nikon Shooter
The purpose of art is to inspire… poetry, music to name a few,
photography is in the lot too and so is imagery.

Emulate, copying, mimic, mirror, echo, follow… let's not trip in
the carpet flowers.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #655970 by michaelsmith
I think its perfectly okay.
If it is a direct copy, then obviously, you have to give credit where it is due.
But inspired work is more of a grey area. Everyone is inspired by someone or something, so its not always necessary to give credit to your source. I feel it depends on how much is inspired. If its a significant portion with very less innovation from your side, it will be nice if you mention a small line giving credit where it is due. Otherwise if it is heavily innovated, I feel you are good to go!

4 years 7 months ago #655973 by Roman Omell
Ha!  Thank you for the input here.  I feel better now :) 

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656035 by garyrhook
Define "copy"?

If you mean, "clone", then no. That's a copyright violation, and morally wrong.

If you mean "inspired by", then yes. We're all inspired by what is around us. Finding the work of another photographer appealing, and trying to take it apart to figure out how the accomplished what they did is part of what we all do to learn.

Perhaps clarification would have kept your friend from insulting you. Good answers require good questions.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656075 by Rick Larin
Yeah, and then improve it!  

Gary, if you go to Grand Teton and you take a popular photo, and model your shot off another photographer.  I don't think any court is going to throw the book at you.  ;) 

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656082 by Nikon Shooter

Rick Larin wrote: Yeah, and then improve it!  

Gary, if you go to Grand Teton and you take a popular photo, and model your shot off another photographer.  I don't think any court is going to throw the book at you.  ;) 

I think Gary rightfully meant "cloning" in the sense of stealing.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656084 by garyrhook

Rick Larin wrote: Yeah, and then improve it!  

That's not what I meant. Looks like I'll have to spell it out.

For example: if I go to the trouble of trying to recreate a Gregory Crewdson photograph, and do anything with it, I'll get into trouble. The courts have already made that clear (no, I'm not kidding... copyright has meaning). That doesn't prevent me from studying what he does, and deciding to use technical or stylistic elements in my imagery.

Now, why would that be?

Because you can't copyright an idea, only the instantiation of an idea. So ideas in a photograph are fair game; recreating or creating derivative work is not.

I'm hoping this helps to clarify my post.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656092 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, it does… thanks!

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656161 by EOS_Fan
Yep, I'll say that makes sense.  But go out there and find inspiration from others work.  That's OK to say.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656304 by Sharna Lee
As far as I'm concerned, learn from others work, then find out how you can change it, improve it enough to make it unique.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024