Long distance shots

6 months 1 day ago #656167 by GT500
Hi I have a Nikon D500 with a Nikon 200-500mm. I also have a Nikon 1.4 teleconverter I use with this set up. So I get good sharp photos if the subject it with in a 100' or so but, if the subject it 500' or more out I have a hard time getting a sharp photo. Any ideas?

Thanks
Darren 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 1 day ago #656175 by fmw
Invest in a sturdy tripod.

Photo Comments

6 months 1 day ago #656182 by Shadowfixer1
Time of day and atmospheric conditions can make long lens photography hard. What were the conditions when you made the unsharp images? That may be part of your problem. There are many factors and without more detail, it's hard to say what the issue is.

6 months 1 day ago #656188 by Nikon Shooter
Every time a new TC hits the market, I do test it… very seriously.

Though my then favourite combo — 600 mm + D810 — was yielding
impressive levels of sharpness and reach, I was looking for more of
both, much more.

I tested all three TCs that hit the market in the recent past and none
of them was constantly hitting the button. Imagine reaching 840mm,
1020mm or even 1200mm! I was quite disappointed.

I found a fair solution, not in an optical but in a pixel count approach,
in getting the D850. At 45,7 MP, it permits me to extend the reach of
my new combo over the D810 version keeping the level of precious
sharpness with the bonus of extended DR.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

6 months 1 day ago #656216 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Darren

I don't know where you live - but for us Downunder-land people, atmospheric haze and air movement causes major headaches for long-lens shooting. Back in film-camera days, I used a 1000mm lens for wildlife stuff - but when I tried to shoot something more than 1/2km / 1/3-mile away it was a lost cause insofar as sharpness went

These days I shoot with fixed-lens superzooms of 500-600mm FF equivalent lenses, and while the results are excellent "this side of infinity" - when I try to shoot over the above distances, I get image wobble from air movement

ps- I also quite often use the 2-second self timer delay to give the tripod a chance to settle as well

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

6 months 1 day ago #656219 by GT500
Thanks All, It seems like I just mite be wanting to much from my gear. 

6 months 1 day ago #656224 by garyrhook
I have that lens, and a TC 1.4 II. I found, in a rough test, that the TC results in about 85% IQ. You won't get the same quality as you would without.

That said, the greater the distance, the less distinct the subject. That's why the horizon looks the way it does. So your best bet is always going to be getting close to your subject.

On top of that, a higher resolution sensor will get you more data to start with, and allow cropping. Without a serious upgrade in equipment you're not going to do much better than the D500.

Photo Comments

6 months 1 day ago #656248 by GT500
Ok Thanks for the info

6 months 17 hours ago #656289 by fmw
I agree that cropping is better than a teleconverter.  However, cropping an unsharp image will produce another unsharp image.  Psssst!  STURDY tripod.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Real estate photography takes time to perfect, but with these tips on real estate photography gear, composition tips for real estate photography, and more, you'll get a leg up on starting your business the right way.

Feb 20, 2020

Wondering how to turn your photography hobby into a career? In this article, learn some professional photography tips to help you start your photography business.

Feb 20, 2020

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

In this Canon EOS 1DX review, learn what features and functionalities this 9-year-old camera has that still makes it a great buy in 2020.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020