Long distance shots

3 weeks 4 days ago #656167 by GT500
Hi I have a Nikon D500 with a Nikon 200-500mm. I also have a Nikon 1.4 teleconverter I use with this set up. So I get good sharp photos if the subject it with in a 100' or so but, if the subject it 500' or more out I have a hard time getting a sharp photo. Any ideas?

Thanks
Darren 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 weeks 4 days ago #656175 by fmw
Invest in a sturdy tripod.

Photo Comments

3 weeks 4 days ago #656182 by Shadowfixer1
Time of day and atmospheric conditions can make long lens photography hard. What were the conditions when you made the unsharp images? That may be part of your problem. There are many factors and without more detail, it's hard to say what the issue is.

3 weeks 4 days ago #656188 by Nikon Shooter
Every time a new TC hits the market, I do test it… very seriously.

Though my then favourite combo — 600 mm + D810 — was yielding
impressive levels of sharpness and reach, I was looking for more of
both, much more.

I tested all three TCs that hit the market in the recent past and none
of them was constantly hitting the button. Imagine reaching 840mm,
1020mm or even 1200mm! I was quite disappointed.

I found a fair solution, not in an optical but in a pixel count approach,
in getting the D850. At 45,7 MP, it permits me to extend the reach of
my new combo over the D810 version keeping the level of precious
sharpness with the bonus of extended DR.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

3 weeks 4 days ago #656216 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Darren

I don't know where you live - but for us Downunder-land people, atmospheric haze and air movement causes major headaches for long-lens shooting. Back in film-camera days, I used a 1000mm lens for wildlife stuff - but when I tried to shoot something more than 1/2km / 1/3-mile away it was a lost cause insofar as sharpness went

These days I shoot with fixed-lens superzooms of 500-600mm FF equivalent lenses, and while the results are excellent "this side of infinity" - when I try to shoot over the above distances, I get image wobble from air movement

ps- I also quite often use the 2-second self timer delay to give the tripod a chance to settle as well

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 weeks 4 days ago #656219 by GT500
Thanks All, It seems like I just mite be wanting to much from my gear. 

3 weeks 4 days ago #656224 by garyrhook
I have that lens, and a TC 1.4 II. I found, in a rough test, that the TC results in about 85% IQ. You won't get the same quality as you would without.

That said, the greater the distance, the less distinct the subject. That's why the horizon looks the way it does. So your best bet is always going to be getting close to your subject.

On top of that, a higher resolution sensor will get you more data to start with, and allow cropping. Without a serious upgrade in equipment you're not going to do much better than the D500.

Photo Comments

3 weeks 3 days ago #656248 by GT500
Ok Thanks for the info

3 weeks 3 days ago #656289 by fmw
I agree that cropping is better than a teleconverter.  However, cropping an unsharp image will produce another unsharp image.  Psssst!  STURDY tripod.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Sony a6100 was recently announced to much fanfare. The question is, does it live up to the hype or is it just a glorified a6000? Find out in this a6100 first look.

Sep 09, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019

With these fall foliage photography tips, you'll learn a few fall photography ideas and solid methods for capturing beautiful photos of fall colors.

Sep 11, 2019

Family portrait posing mistakes are easy to make, even for seasoned photographers. In this guide, learn a few tricks for making the most of family photo poses.

Sep 11, 2019