TSA and camera batteries

4 years 7 months ago #656584 by Carter Gledhill
Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct spot here.  I'm kind of new to photography.  Well I got my first professional camera 8 months ago.  However have had a Sony Cybershot for the last 10 years.  And those cameras have become pretty advanced, so I wouldn't say I'm a newbie.  

For the first time with my travels, I have 4-5 extra batteries I'm traveling with.  Just to be clear, these need to be in my carry on to be cool with TSA right?  

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #656588 by Nikon Shooter
I found this on the TSA website:

I found this on the TSA website:2. Batteries - Whether they’re for business, health reasons, or leisure, we all travel with gadgets, and gadgets need batteries! Here’s a rundown of different types of batteries and whether they’re permitted or not. If you have any additional questions about batteries, please reach out to the FAA.Batteries Allowed in Carry-on Bags:
  • Dry cell alkaline batteries; typical AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, button sized cells, etc.
  • Dry cell rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
  • Jump starters with lithium ion batteries.
  • Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium).
  • Consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries.
  • Up to two larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size. Lithium ion batteries that are between 101 – 160 wh are allowed in carry-on bags with airline approval.
  • Lithium metal batteries (a.k.a.: non-rechargeable lithium, primary lithium). These batteries are often used with cameras and other small personal electronics. Consumer-sized batteries (up to 2 grams of lithium per battery) may be carried. This includes all the typical non-rechargeable batteries for personal film cameras and digital cameras (AA, AAA, 123, CR123A, CR1, CR2, CRV3, CR22, 2CR5, etc.) as well as the flat round lithium button cells.
Batteries Allowed in Checked Bags:Except for lithium batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage; however, we recommend that you pack them in your carry-on bag whenever possible. In the cabin, airline flight crews can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur.Prohibited Batteries:Car batteries, wet batteries, or spillable batteries are prohibited from both carry-on and checked baggage unless they are being used to power a scooter or wheelchair. If you need to pack a spare battery for a scooter or wheelchair, you must advise the aircraft operator so the battery can be properly packaged for air travel.Spare lithium batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage.Battery Chargers:Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries are the most common rechargeable cell types found in Portable Chargers. Portable chargers are allowed in carry-on bags only.External battery chargers/Power banks/Uninstalled or spare lithium ion batteries must be packed in carry-on bags.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656589 by J Photo Man
:agree:    Lithium-ion batteries need to be carried in your carry on.  Not in your checked-in luggage due to risk of fire.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656591 by Tim Dordeck
Speaking of which, do they limit the number of batteries you can have on you?  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656595 by garyrhook
I've not seen any indication of a limit on the number of batteries. You should be okay.

Note that the batteries must be out of the device, insofar as that is possible. For my camera, when using my Pelican case, I take the batter out, put it in a sandwich bag, and lay it on top of the foam so it's immediately evident. Others I keep in packs. Never been questioned.... yet.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656599 by Carter Gledhill
Thanks everyone. 

Interesting, so no battery in your camera?  I guess that crosses off taking photos out the planes window.  

4 years 7 months ago #656618 by garyrhook
I didn't say it had to stay there. And in fact, on my last flight, from London, I forgot to remove it. No one asked about my camera bag, even when it went through security.

The whole system is asinine. Treating symptoms instead of problems.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656619 by Piechura
The most I've carried through is seven. Plus a laptop, phone and kindle. I've never been asked to remove the one in my camera though. In essence, it's no different from a laptop battery, and nobody ever removes them either.

4 years 7 months ago #656631 by Paul Velasco

garyrhook wrote: I didn't say it had to stay there. And in fact, on my last flight, from London, I forgot to remove it. No one asked about my camera bag, even when it went through security.

I've never been asked to remove my battery from camera either.  Now they have had me take my camera out of the bag when going through security though.  

4 years 7 months ago #656639 by Carter Gledhill

garyrhook wrote: I didn't say it had to stay there. And in fact, on my last flight, from London, I forgot to remove it. No one asked about my camera bag, even when it went through security.

Did they have you remove your camera from your bag?

4 years 7 months ago #656729 by ThatNikonGuy
What's funning is this summer I have done a bit of traveling and never had them ask to remove batteries.  I've been asked to turn on my laptop and iPad, I have been asked to remove my camera from the bag, but never to remove the batteries.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656732 by garyrhook

Carter Gledhill wrote:

Did they have you remove your camera from your bag?

No. Heading out, we had TSA Pre-Check so we got to avoid a lot of the silliness. Returning from London, no. They were more concerned with how many ounces (ccs) were in the toiletry products my wife had in her bag. My camera was pretty much ignored, aside from the x-ray.

I was ready, though.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656932 by Carter Gledhill
TSA Precheck - you talking about the $85 5 year application?  You do ahead of time right?  

4 years 7 months ago #656936 by garyrhook

Carter Gledhill wrote: TSA Precheck - you talking about the $85 5 year application?  You do ahead of time right?  

Well, no. I refer to the designation you get on your boarding pass, that is somewhat random, and that you can guarantee getting by signing up for the $85 program. Which I have, but my wife has not, and she got the designation on our last trip anyways.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656939 by Carter Gledhill
How PITA was it to get?  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024