Camera durability and longevity?

1 month 2 weeks ago #656941 by Liem Stailey
Just a completely random question.  When you use an iPhone, it seems every 3-4 years, it starts to fail and needs replacement.  A TV, might last you 8-10 years before you start seeing funny business with colors or sound acting up.  

Film cameras seem to have lasted long because there wasn't electronics in them, or much of them. 

What about todays cameras, how long realistically can we expect these to operate?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 2 weeks ago #656943 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Liem

Very good Q there matey :)

My first digital was a Fuji S5000 superzoom - it went for 7 or 8 years until the on-off switch started to play up. Along the way it shot over 95,000 images and that part of the camera was still going strong ...

All the follow-on digital cameras I have owned [not all than many but it sounds a lot] have been passed on to beginners at about the 5-yrear mark, so I have no other direct knowledge

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 month 2 weeks ago #656949 by Liem Stailey
Thank you, and I thought it might have been a left field question.  Now if I read correctly, many camera sensors are rated for upwards of 200,000 images.  Right? 

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #656951 by Nikon Shooter
In the case of DSLR, the shutter count is the main parameter
and not the sensor. On most it is closer to 300 k+.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

1 month 2 weeks ago #656953 by Shadowfixer1
My first digital camera was a Minolta Dimage 7 in 2002. I still have it and it works just like it did when new. It makes a good image at ISO 100. It will shoot RAW but it takes about 30 seconds to write a RAW file to the CF card so I always shoot jpg with it. I mostly use it for infrared images the last few years. Every digital camera I have owned still works. I don't own them all but I know the people that bought my old ones and they still work and are in use. 

1 month 2 weeks ago #656956 by Liem Stailey

Shadowfixer1 wrote: My first digital camera was a Minolta Dimage 7 in 2002. I still have it and it works just like it did when new. It makes a good image at ISO 100. It will shoot RAW but it takes about 30 seconds to write a RAW file to the CF card so I always shoot jpg with it. I mostly use it for infrared images the last few years. Every digital camera I have owned still works. I don't own them all but I know the people that bought my old ones and they still work and are in use. 

Holy smokes!  What are the specs of that beast? 

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #656993 by garyrhook

Liem Stailey wrote: Just a completely random question.  When you use an iPhone, it seems every 3-4 years, it starts to fail and needs replacement.  A TV, might last you 8-10 years before you start seeing funny business with colors or sound acting up.  

Define "fail"? My iPhone 6 got replaced because of OS updates. It was in very good condition, and functioned perfectly. I'll disagree that they start to arbitrarily fail after 3-4 years.

I still have my first LED television, maybe 15 years old now? Older tube TVs had issues with components failing due to heat. Much less of a problem with newer devices.

Electronics can fail, often due to a capacitor blowing out. Aside from the failure of an electronic component, though, they don't. In DSLRs, as stated, the shutter is the failure point, and it can be replaced. If you take care of things, they can last a long time.

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #657302 by Liem Stailey
Kind of thinking when something about the camera stops working that effects the camera from doing what it's supposed to. 

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #657313 by Pettigrew
I have a Nikon D80 that works well still. I want to see that camera is at least 12 years old.

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #657319 by effron
I'm still pounding on a D800, and D7100...both getting long in the tooth and still behaving like a new camera. A lot depends on how you care for them and some blind luck also pays a call......

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #657335 by Ozzie_Traveller

effron wrote: I'm still pounding on a D800, and D7100...both getting long in the tooth and still behaving like a new camera. A lot depends on how you care for them and some blind luck also pays a call......

G'day matey

As I mentioned above - a small and "insignificant" thing like the 'on/off' switch started to get wonky and the rest of the camera just became unusable

Phil

1 month 1 week ago #657390 by Otto F
So what typically fails on a camera as time gets up there?

Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #657474 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Otto

I suspect it's similar to your motor car ... the engine gets a bit worn out or the gearbox gets noisy or the aircon starts to squeak or a water leak or rust gets to be a problem - and so it goes on & on

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 month 6 days ago #658206 by Tim Dordeck
Shutter or anything mechanical 

Photo Comments

1 month 5 days ago #658386 by ThatNikonGuy
I have a Nikon D80 that has over 270,000 shots on it as of a few months ago.  Still works.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

In the Nikon Z7 vs Sony a9 shootout, which camera comes out on top? They're evenly matched with excellent features, but both cameras definitely shine in different areas.

Sep 23, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

I've had the Haida M10 filter system for about a week now, and first impressions are that it is a high-quality, well-built kit that could very well become my go-to filter kit.

Oct 16, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video If you're really strapped for cash, we've got the photography job for you: professional pigeon scarer.  There's a...

Oct 16, 2019

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019

While the Sony a9 II is not a huge leap forward from the a9, there are some critical updates that make it a better camera, specifically for professionals.

Oct 11, 2019