How to tell number of charge cycles on camera battery?

1 month 3 weeks ago #657060 by Frost Photography
Is there a way to tell how many times a battery has been charged up? I want to start tracking average battery life span.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago #657062 by garyrhook

Frost Photography wrote: Is there a way to tell how many times a battery has been charged up? I want to start tracking average battery life span.  

I think the answer is, in general, no. The electronics in the batter may record some information, but since a charge cycle can be anything from 5% to 100%, a metric is kind of arbitrary, don't you think?

Also, a camera battery should last multiple years; certainly longer than a shutter. Why is this of interest?

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #657063 by Nikon Shooter
Short answer: no.

This data is recorded only by software installed in charging
lab equipment. Ordinary chargers — as goods they maybe,
will not record that kind of information.

Your should then start recording manually after identifying
the pack, reading voltage at the beginning, date, mode of
operation and charging current, for example. With this info,
you could establish a good data base.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

1 month 3 weeks ago #657112 by fmw
Carry one or more charged backup batteries.  When one fails to hold a charge, get rid of it.  Not something to worry about.

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #657157 by Finn
I might be wrong but don’t some cameras show that from within the menu?

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #657158 by garyrhook

Finn wrote: I might be wrong but don’t some cameras show that from within the menu?

Possibly. But does the camera know which battery you're using? I'm going to guess "no". The only way it works is when the battery is fixed, like in an iPhone.

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #657163 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: But does the camera know which battery you're using? I'm going to guess "no". The only way it works is when the battery is fixed, like in an iPhone.

Cameras could distinguish the packs as well as lenses
are identified but I don't know that it is implemented.

1 month 3 weeks ago #657217 by CharleyL
I've numbered all of my batteries with small labels. When I recharge them I keep a record in a small notebook at my charging bench. I always carry several sets of fully charged batteries in my camera bag, more than is needed for a full day of shooting, but never take a charger with me. All recharging is done at the charging bench when I get back to my home studio..

Charley

1 month 3 weeks ago #657225 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: But does the camera know which battery you're using? I'm going to guess "no". The only way it works is when the battery is fixed, like in an iPhone.

Cameras could distinguish the packs as well as lenses
are identified but I don't know that it is implemented.

I didn't say it wasn't possible, I was offering an opinion about what exists today.

Electronics are packed into a lot of things. To provide more detail, I was referring to different copies of the same battery from the same manufacturer. They'd have to have serial numbers in order to distinguish them, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't, and isn't, going to happen. There's no value in it.

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #657228 by Nikon Shooter
I did not mean to say your answer was incorrect in any way,
just saying the technique is there but that it would not be
a great feature… on that I agree with you! :)

1 month 2 weeks ago #657450 by Jeff Scott
What the battery makers need to do is have what AA battery companies did a number of years ago with those strips that show charge of each battery.  This would only show number of charges.  :thumbsup:   Done.  Problem solved.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 might be a couple of years old now, but as we demonstrate in this Sony a9 review, it is still one of the best cameras in its class, particularly when it comes to its autofocus capabilities.

Oct 08, 2019

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by American Airlines Airports in the United States are getting new CT scanners that are supposed to make the process of running through TSA really...

Oct 22, 2019

Camera gear insurance is a must-have if you're a professional photographer. But what do all the terms mean? What kinds of policies are available? Who and what can be covered? Find out in this photography insurance primer!

Oct 22, 2019

Photo by 🇸🇮 Janko Ferlič - @specialdaddy on Unsplash In an era where Nest security cameras are constantly being barraged by...

Oct 19, 2019

With these photography tips, you'll be able to advance your abilities beyond beginner level and start to develop a workflow that results in better photos.

Oct 17, 2019

With these essential street photography tips, you'll learn some essential guidelines for making your street photography outings a success.

Oct 17, 2019

Photo by Diana Măceşanu on Unsplash Steve Fines is used to using his drone to capture gorgeous aerial photos. But, when a...

Oct 17, 2019

I've had the Haida M10 filter system for about a week now, and first impressions are that it is a high-quality, well-built kit that could very well become my go-to filter kit.

Oct 16, 2019

Shooting your very first wedding? Minimize the stress and maximize your preparedness with these essential wedding photography tips for amateurs.

Oct 16, 2019