Safe to walk around NYC with DSLR camera at night?

4 years 6 months ago #657140 by Paulina K
I'll be up in NYC for work next week and I'll be there for 9 days.   Some of the shots that I have seen that I want, were taken of the city at night.  

I'll be up there alone, so wanted to check first if it's safe for a woman to walk around with a DSLR alone at night? 

4 years 6 months ago #657142 by garyrhook

Paulina K wrote: I'll be up in NYC for work next week and I'll be there for 9 days.   Some of the shots that I have seen that I want, were taken of the city at night.  

I'll be up there alone, so wanted to check first if it's safe for a woman to walk around with a DSLR alone at night? 

Is it safe for anyone to walk around alone anywhere at night?

I'd pay attention to how many people are about. If where you want to go is busy, then you have less chance of drawing attention, me thinks. I made several trips, younger, and walked blocks by myself when few people were out, in mid-town. I think much depends upon where in the city you are.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #657150 by Paulina K
Thank you, all noted.  

What about Central Park?

4 years 6 months ago #657159 by garyrhook

Paulina K wrote: Thank you, all noted.  

What about Central Park?

I wouldn't, not at night. Daytime, sure.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #657166 by Paulina K

garyrhook wrote:

Paulina K wrote: Thank you, all noted.  

What about Central Park?

I wouldn't, not at night. Daytime, sure.

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts on this! 

4 years 6 months ago #657170 by effron
", so wanted to check first if it's safe for a woman to walk around with a DSLR alone at night? "

No.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #657216 by CharleyL
Take a couple of big tough looking guys with you and you should be fine. As an old man, I wouldn't even attempt it myself. Less danger in the brightly lit and crowded areas, but it can be a pretty rough place in the dark, especially when carrying a big expensive camera.

Charley 

4 years 6 months ago #657222 by KenMan
Stay with the crowds of people and you will be fine

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #657232 by Finn
+1 stay around crowds 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #657309 by Troponin
In the more “touristy” areas, I found evening/nighttime to be safer than day time. 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #657315 by BlurredLines
Hi Paulina,

Not sure if this would work for you but any time I have one of my better cameras or camcorders out in an area I'm not familiar with I have it on a very sturdy lanyard that I either wear around my neck or wrist.

If you're in a crowd or near others, it seems a potential thief would wait until an opportune moment then try to snatch the camera and disappear into the crowd as fast as possible.

A strong, secure lanyard could maybe thwart that.  Just a thought.

4 years 6 months ago #657365 by Prago
Completely OK if you use common sense. Stay where others are, and you'll be just fine.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #657478 by Peter Nunez
IMO, NYC is a safe city when you stay in populated areas.  However like any other city out there, when you get off into the shadows and away from the crowds, risk increases.  So stay where people are at and just be smart and hold onto your gear.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #658648 by A-Perez
I lived in the Bronx.
I had my phone robbed by a knife wielding man and fled a guy trying to rob me on a different occasion.

You may be safe only in lower or Midtown Manhattan.
Don't show your camera north of 96th street.

4 years 6 months ago #658683 by Sharna Lee
Good advice.  It's a city, like any other, there are good and bad, do and don'ts.  Honestly I wouldn't go in any area where there aren't large numbers of people.  Even still carry your gear close.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024