Photography gear stolen from car

4 years 7 months ago #657548 by Jackson Rieger
I have a rag top and yesterday ran into a mall here quick to get a new pair of sneakers.  I had my gear sitting in the back seat.  As I'm driving home, I heard a strange noise and turned back to see a cut in the roof of my car!  

My guess is someone was trying to get into my car, and perhaps me coming out early spoiled their efforts.  

My question is had they been successful, and got my gear, would that have been covered by my cars insurance?  I called my carrier and got someone who couldn't give me a clear answer. Google wasn't much help, not at least if I wanted an answer this century.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657616 by effron
Depends on the insurance contract, probably not. I have my gear covered for theft under my homeowners, however I don't believe they'll cover a pro's gear for loss from theft and damage.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657644 by Office Guy
+1 all depends on your policy you have

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #657647 by garyrhook
I'll go with "usually, no". Mostly I hear about homeowner's insurance covering that sort of loss. Which, depending upon your deductible, might not be very helpful. Your auto insurance is for damage to your car (comprehensive coverage).

Suggest:
  1. Get a rider on your home insurance to cover the equipment (assuming it's used for recreational purposes only).
  2. Stop leaving things in your car where they can be seen. I would think that everyone understood that by now. I would be mistaken.
That fact that your carrier can't explain your coverage is also problematic, and suggests the potential for problems down the road in the event of a claim. You might want to (a) help us all out by naming your insurer, so we can be aware of potential problems (why not name names?), and (b) consider changing carriers.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657648 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jackson

Most Aussie policies cover the vehicle 'as it was sold to you' ... some include tools etc. that remain permanently in the vehicle. For items that primarily live somewhere else ie: in your home or office, these require either a "specific items" addition to the policy - or it needs to be spelled out in your householders policy.

For myself when years ago I was in your situation, I had an additional, specific 'photographic equipment' policy for all the stuff that came and went from the house regularly

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 7 months ago #657735 by J Photo Man
Don't you have an alarm on your car?  Seriously might be a good time to invest in one.  You lucked out that they ran out of time, or got spooked.  

Regarding  your question, this completely depends on your insurance policy.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657774 by Roman Omell
Man, I haven't had an alarm in my own car in years!  I just use what is in the car.  Actually come to think of it, I think that's just a stock lock the doors beep I'm getting from my car.  :whistle:

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657776 by garyrhook
Alarms on cars are, IMO, worthless. No one pays any attention to them. Do you?

I'm also not sure that an alarm would detect someone cutting through a convertible roof. The OP did say it was a ragtop.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657794 by effron
Yup, convertibles are useless for securing items and Hook is correct, car alarms go off when a squirrel jumps on the car here, nobody stirs.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657836 by Instamixes
This depends on your car insurance type. But I think they will not cover your gear loss in the car insurance. 

4 years 7 months ago #657903 by fmw
It would be a rare insurance policy that would cover the loss of a camera.  The top should be covered, though.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658178 by Ian Stone
LOL you don't dare to leave valuables in your car up here.   Bring them with you.  Always!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024