APS-C sensors with higher MP have more noise?

4 years 7 months ago #657938 by F Anderson
I was watching a YouTube channel earlier where the announcer spoke about APS-C sensors with larger sensors are more sensitive to noise.  Why is that if true?

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657951 by Nikon Shooter

F Anderson wrote: Title… sensors with higher MP have more noise?
Post… sensors with larger sensors are more sensitive to noise.  Why is that if true?

Not very clear, is it?

Because larger pixels will capture more photons than smaller ones.

Though this was — is, and will always be — true my D3S, know as
the ultimate full frame lowlight master, spectacular improvements
are closing the gap with the other FF.

The same applies to smaller sensors: the fewer and bigger pixels
will perform better in lowlight. 

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657962 by effron
Yup, my long in the tooth D700 still cleans my D800's clock at higher iso, low noise photos...Not that the D800 isn't good, the D700 is simply great, and had the same sensor as the D3...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658014 by garyrhook
Or, to put it another way, size matters.

If you pack more pixels into the same space, they're smaller, and more sensitive to electrical noise (all else being equal). Larger pixels are less senstivite. So a D700, or D3s, or even a D4s, at 12 or 16 MP, can perform beautifully at ISO 25,600.

Thankfully, with advancements, a D850 comes pretty close. At least, I'm happy with mine.

That said, these are some of the reasons that the high end Nikons cost what they do. They deliver the goods in demanding situations.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658022 by KCook
Maybe it's true for Nikons. For other brands, good luck. As a general rule the NEWER sensor will have less noise, regardless of Megapixels.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 7 months ago #658038 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: Maybe it's true for Nikons. For other brands, good luck. As a general rule the NEWER sensor will have less noise, regardless of Megapixels.

Kelly

That's why I stated, "all things being equal". I don't agree that newer sensors with higher density sensors always perform better than previous generations. But I think it's also true that you can only make that comparison on a few systems (Nikon, Canon) because other systems don't have the range in sensor sizes and history that would allow such a comparison.

I could be wrong, as I'm not fully educated in all camera systems. If there is another manufacturer with a long enough history that would allow such, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658053 by fmw

KCook wrote: Maybe it's true for Nikons. For other brands, good luck. As a general rule the NEWER sensor will have less noise, regardless of Megapixels.

Kelly

What you call a general rule I would call an opinion or an advertising claim.  I don't doubt that there could be more efficient sensors being made today than in the past but I have no knowledge of that.  Perhaps you do and, if so, it would be interesting to see the numbers. Whether they provide better low light performance than similarly sized pixels from older sensors is not something I know to be true.  My own experience tells me that larger pixels outperform smaller pixels in about every possible way.

Back in the film days low light performance was the same for everybody because it was built into the film rather than the camera.  We talked about low light techniques in those days.  Those techniques, by the way, work exactly the same way with digital cameras.  Modern day photographers should look into them.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658225 by KCook
Good to know that noise for the D80 is just as low as for the D500.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 7 months ago #658323 by effron

KCook wrote: Good to know that noise for the D80 is just as low as for the D500.

:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024