Widest angle you use for portraits close up on full frame camera?

1 year 2 weeks ago #658394 by Otto F
Hey guys, what is the widest lens you will use on a full frame lens when shooting close up portraits?    **Before distortion kicks in?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 weeks ago #658397 by Nikon Shooter
Before distortion kicks in?

I don't even dare coming close to it because of the unflattering
effect on perspective… but it would be the 50 to 60 mm length.

In my book, the closer = the longer: 105mm +.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #658399 by effron
Yup, 50 minimum, prefer 105 or more.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #658409 by Otto F
Dang, I was thinking you all would say something under 20mm.  I was way off!

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #658411 by Nikon Shooter

Otto F wrote: Dang, I was thinking you all would say something under 20mm.  I was way off!

The suggestions were merely what they are… suggestions,
No rule, however, should keep you from experimentation.

Have a good time! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #658423 by fmw

Otto F wrote: Dang, I was thinking you all would say something under 20mm.  I was way off!

Not necessarily.  You didn't define the term portrait.  If it is a full figure shot that includes some interesting back ground then 20mm may be just right.  If you mean a head shot then 20mm up close would be unsaleable.  I've used wide angle lenses many times but I don't take what most people define as a portrait.

The last time I took head shots was individual shots of professional baseball players for use on the scoreboard.  If I remember correctly I used a 180mm lens on a 6X9 medium format camera.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #658434 by garyrhook
+1 on the above. It depends upon what you are doing.

You do say "close up" which, to me, implies head/shoulders. In which case, you want a longer lens to produce more pleasing geometry. 85mm or longer. 50 for a full body is fine, or even 2-3 people, and 35 or less for groups small to large.

Under 20? That's a superwide lens, not typically used for portraiture. One wonders where that idea came from. But still, it depends, right?

All IMHO, of course. I despise the large noses that result from short focal lengths. That includes most mobile phone selfies. Apparently no one looks at the nose, they only look at how wide (or not) their face seems. Self-perception is full of distortion.

So, basically: if you want realistic geometry in a face/head shot, you need to consider relative distance vs. the focal length. The longer the focal length, the smaller the relative distance between (say) the nose and ears. IMNSHO longer is better.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #658541 by fmw
Just a quick lesson on perspective.  Perspective and perspective distortion are not built into the lens.  What is built in to the lens is the angle of view.  Perspective is a function of camera to subject distance.  If you make a head shot with an 85 or 100mm lens and then make the same image with a 20mm lens from exactly the same place, the perspective will be same.  The angle of view will change and the head will be much smaller with the 20mm lens.  If you get closer to the subject to have the head fill the frame then you will have changed the perspective.

We change perspective when we change our distance to the subject, not when we change lenses.  The reason we prefer telephoto lenses for head shots is that they allow us to get further from the subject and reduce perspective distortion.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #658612 by Sharna Lee
Yep, depends on the distance you are from your subject.  You can use a 24mm for example with the right distance from you and the subject with the right background.  To close and you get bubble like look.  

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #658615 by effron
I like the longer lens to separate my subject from the background, the 105 f/2.8 macro has pretty good bokeh near wide open....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Pentax K-1 Mark II is an affordable full frame camera with many excellent features including in-body image stabilization. But is it the camera for you? Find out in this review!

Sep 21, 2020

The Canon 7D Mark II might be more than five years old, but for sports and wildlife photographers, it's still a great - and affordable - option.

Sep 15, 2020

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II is a high-end compact camera. The question is, is it the right camera for you? Find out in this Canon PowerShot G5 X II review.

Sep 09, 2020

This detailed Olympus OM-D E-M1X review will introduce you to the features, specs, pros, cons, and more of this high-powered sports and action photography camera.

Sep 07, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The camera bag that was on the top of my best camera bags of 2020 list just got an update and is now even better!

Sep 24, 2020

With a budget of $5,000, you can get incredible gifts for photographers this holiday season.

Sep 22, 2020

Partnerships in photography are crucial to the success of your business. If you want to make it as a photographer, you need other people to help you out!

Sep 22, 2020

Canon's RF lineup of lenses is stacked with superb lenses. But which ones are the top Canon EOS R5 lenses? Find out in this list!

Sep 22, 2020

variable ND filters, uses for variable nd filters, neutral density filters, variable neutral density filters, what is a variable nd filter, why you need a variable nd filter

Sep 21, 2020

Use these photography business tips to expand the reach of your business to new clients and retain the clients you already have.

Sep 21, 2020

To get better at photography, you need to learn how to improve your photos. And to do that, you need to practice essential photography skills. Here's some projects that will help you do just that.

Sep 21, 2020

The Pentax K-1 Mark II is an affordable full frame camera with many excellent features including in-body image stabilization. But is it the camera for you? Find out in this review!

Sep 21, 2020