Widest angle you use for portraits close up on full frame camera?

4 years 7 months ago #658394 by Otto F
Hey guys, what is the widest lens you will use on a full frame lens when shooting close up portraits?    **Before distortion kicks in?

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658397 by Nikon Shooter
Before distortion kicks in?

I don't even dare coming close to it because of the unflattering
effect on perspective… but it would be the 50 to 60 mm length.

In my book, the closer = the longer: 105mm +.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658399 by effron
Yup, 50 minimum, prefer 105 or more.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658409 by Otto F
Dang, I was thinking you all would say something under 20mm.  I was way off!

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658411 by Nikon Shooter

Otto F wrote: Dang, I was thinking you all would say something under 20mm.  I was way off!

The suggestions were merely what they are… suggestions,
No rule, however, should keep you from experimentation.

Have a good time! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658423 by fmw

Otto F wrote: Dang, I was thinking you all would say something under 20mm.  I was way off!

Not necessarily.  You didn't define the term portrait.  If it is a full figure shot that includes some interesting back ground then 20mm may be just right.  If you mean a head shot then 20mm up close would be unsaleable.  I've used wide angle lenses many times but I don't take what most people define as a portrait.

The last time I took head shots was individual shots of professional baseball players for use on the scoreboard.  If I remember correctly I used a 180mm lens on a 6X9 medium format camera.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658434 by garyrhook
+1 on the above. It depends upon what you are doing.

You do say "close up" which, to me, implies head/shoulders. In which case, you want a longer lens to produce more pleasing geometry. 85mm or longer. 50 for a full body is fine, or even 2-3 people, and 35 or less for groups small to large.

Under 20? That's a superwide lens, not typically used for portraiture. One wonders where that idea came from. But still, it depends, right?

All IMHO, of course. I despise the large noses that result from short focal lengths. That includes most mobile phone selfies. Apparently no one looks at the nose, they only look at how wide (or not) their face seems. Self-perception is full of distortion.

So, basically: if you want realistic geometry in a face/head shot, you need to consider relative distance vs. the focal length. The longer the focal length, the smaller the relative distance between (say) the nose and ears. IMNSHO longer is better.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658541 by fmw
Just a quick lesson on perspective.  Perspective and perspective distortion are not built into the lens.  What is built in to the lens is the angle of view.  Perspective is a function of camera to subject distance.  If you make a head shot with an 85 or 100mm lens and then make the same image with a 20mm lens from exactly the same place, the perspective will be same.  The angle of view will change and the head will be much smaller with the 20mm lens.  If you get closer to the subject to have the head fill the frame then you will have changed the perspective.

We change perspective when we change our distance to the subject, not when we change lenses.  The reason we prefer telephoto lenses for head shots is that they allow us to get further from the subject and reduce perspective distortion.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658612 by Sharna Lee
Yep, depends on the distance you are from your subject.  You can use a 24mm for example with the right distance from you and the subject with the right background.  To close and you get bubble like look.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658615 by effron
I like the longer lens to separate my subject from the background, the 105 f/2.8 macro has pretty good bokeh near wide open....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024