Do I have a bad lens???

4 years 6 months ago #658887 by Pauly 6 String
I have been taking football photos with a EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 using a Canon 80D.  Results have been pretty good as I'm getting more experience.  I decided to use an L series 24-105 f/4.0 for the 2nd half yesterday and and disappointed with the sharpness (lack of).  I did buy it used and what appeared to be in excellent condition.

Can you look at these two images and see what may be off? I was using a monopod for all the shots and the think I have enough shutter speed to get the results I'm looking for.

Attachments:
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #658888 by Pauly 6 String
I'll add, since I didn't see an edit option, that I'm using back button AF with a single point. The lens does produce sharp images but didn't do well when I went to action shots.

Found edit option

Is it just operator error?

4 years 6 months ago #658889 by Sawyer
How many shots were out of focus like this?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #658939 by Shadowfixer1

Pauly 6 String wrote: I'll add, since I didn't see an edit option, that I'm using back button AF with a single point. The lens does produce sharp images but didn't do well when I went to action shots.

Found edit option

Is it just operator error?

If a lens produces sharp images at any time, action or not doesn't change it's ability to be sharp. It either produces sharp images or it doesn't. It's ability as far as focus speed is a totally different question. We can't answer the user error part without more info, Are these severely cropped? That is the first question I have.
4 years 6 months ago #658944 by Nikon Shooter
The first shot has a helmet in the middle — where the focus
point is by default — while the second has nothing, sugges-
ting the AF had not point nor the time to look for one.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #658946 by Nikon Shooter
The first shot has a helmet in the middle — where the focus
point is by default — while the second has nothing, sugges-
ting the AF had not point nor the time to look for one.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #658995 by garyrhook
We don't seem to be seeing the entire image. Perhaps the OP can post a the full images at maybe 3000 pixels on the long side? Also, tell us what focus mode is being used, and if single-point, where that point was within the frame?

Also: if your BBF is set to acquire and hold focus, as opposed to track focus, then I think you're doing it wrong for sports. You need dynamic AF (IMHO) to ensure that focus is acquired when the shutter triggers.

I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659022 by effron
Some testing needs to be performed on that lens, methinks....By the OP.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659034 by Pauly 6 String
Thanks all for your input.  As you can see its my first post so new here.  What format of image should I upload?  Will JPEG suffice?

I have used this lens for stills, portrait type shots getting sharp results and I was indeed using it to test it (my) ability for the action shots.

AF point is in the center

Using AI Servo mode on Canon 80D

Yes, images cropped.  What I showed was actually screenshots of those areas zoomed in in Lightroom.

Someone I talked to at a camera store felt maybe the autofocus motor was not keeping up (my words)

Attachments:
4 years 6 months ago #659048 by garyrhook
I won't comment about the misappropriation of the logos on the uniforms.

In the first image, #25 is the most in-focus subject. Perhaps the focus point was on the ball at some moment?

In the second, The Riddell name on the right-most helmet seems the most clear, although the ear opening on the helmet behind him seems awfully in focus, too. So I'm not entirely sure about that one.

AF performance is a product of both the body and the lens. That lens just may not be up to that amount of movement. It may also be your (developing) skill at tracking. It's difficult, and takes practice. You might consider renting a 70-200 for a trial run. That's a typical lens that should exhibit fast focus.

File format: JPGs are always acceptable; PNG is another choice if you don't want compression. Both are going to allow specifying the sRGB color space, which is what you want. Most other file formats are not general to browser display.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pauly 6 String
4 years 6 months ago #659125 by Roy Wilson
Logos?  I thought that was camouflage jerseys!  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659322 by Peter_01
Recently I bought a Moment Wide 18mm Lens for my iPhone XS. It’s a wonderful experience for me to use when I buy a shuttercase for it also. I really like this case for a couple of reasons: this battery grip makes it a lot easier to shoot. It's nice and easy to hold, and it's got a place for Moment lenses so that you can tie on a bigger lens. It looks amazing ..it turns my iPhone into a mirrorless DSLR camera.

4 years 6 months ago #659533 by Nikon Shooter

Peter_01 wrote: it turns my iPhone into a mirrorless DSLR camera.

Really, Peter, a mirrorless DSLR camera?

You mean possibly a DSL! :P

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659546 by effron
Yup, that sounded a lot like an iphone ad.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659559 by garyrhook
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the thread....

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024