Canon battery issues?

4 years 6 months ago #659054 by 1953roadmaster
HI, I'm new to this forum but been into and out of cameras for 50 years.  I apologize if this post is a bit lengthy...
I am currently, and have been for many years, a Canon user.  My current pile of stuff orbits around a 70D and the 60D it replaced several years ago.  Both cameras have grips.  I like using branded accessories and components as much as possible and includes the more expensive name brand batteries.  Both cameras use the LP6E battery, which has recently been replaced by the LPE6N. 
Last year I purchased a couple of the new version batteries and set them aside for a couple months before I decided to put them into my battery rotation.  After charging normally, both batteries went dead after just a couple of frames.  I put them back on the charger and neither would take a charge.  I had purchased from B&H and called to return them, B&H customer service was very nice, but I had exceeded the time frame for returning batteries and they just wouldn't take them... a hundred bucks down the drain.  
I waited a month or two and reordered a couple more of the LPE6N.  This time I checked them out immediately, and they also failed after a very short time of use.  I returned them and talked to B&H's customer service to see if there was a problem with the batteries, but they indicated that they weren't aware of any issues.  A short time later, I ordered my third set of batteries along with the latest version of a charger that worked with the new model battery.  This time, I charged them normally and put them into the 60D, hoping to eliminate any issues with the 70D and/or the grip.  Sure enough, the new batteries failed shortly after.  Keep in mind that I have two pair of the old style Canon and a couple of aftermarket batteries that have worked flawlessly for years.  Multiple discussions with B&H service did not help and I tabled the issue for awhile and decided to try ordering from other sources in the future.  I've ordered 4 more pair in the last six months from other sources including Amazon, all with the same results.  Recently, I've had conversations with Canon customer service who also claim that they aren't aware of any issues.  Canon wants me to send them both bodies, both grips, all my old Canon batteries (working ones), new failed ones (along with receipts) and all my chargers so they can "analyze" everything to see why this may be happening.  
I'm very hesitant to send them all my equipment for this wild goose chase and think I may be smarter to just buy the $20 aftermarket batteries instead of the $65 Canon ones.
Anyone here had any issues with these batteries?

4 years 6 months ago #659056 by Roy Wilson
WOW, at first I was going to say it's the grip likely causing a short or something.  However you said you have batteries that are older that work just fine?

Any patterns you are following?  You have tried with Canon batteries?  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659069 by effron
Canon can't diagnose any issues without examining the cameras, and batteries in question, no? Why not send one in and let them do what they do?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659158 by garyrhook
You don't need to send them everything; that's just silly. What you need to do is send them the set of equipment that illustrates the problem: one camera, one grip, one old and one new battery, the charger you use (pick one), and only after you go through the process of carefully testing out various combinations to see if you learn anything new. I'd eliminate the grip from your testing first, as removing variables is fundamental to exploring this kind of problem.

You might also try a (one!) aftermarket battery. And then stop buying batteries until you sort this out.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024