When are you tossing out your old memory cards?

4 years 6 months ago #659661 by Dave Burburry
I just ordered a couple new 128G memory cards and this had me looking at a plastic bag I have of older memory cards. Are you keeping your old cards are tossing?  I mean they don't take up much of any space.  But just curious when do others toss?  I have some 8GB cards in there that of course won't be of much help these days.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659663 by Shadowfixer1
I've never tossed one. I have given some away when I changed card types. I try to buy good cards so I haven't needed to upgrade or replace much through the years.
4 years 6 months ago #659666 by Dave Burburry
I hear you, but the only reason I change is because of space.  Not because of the cards failing. 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659685 by effron
I still have some 1GB cards from years ago, never had a failure and I'll toss nothing. My kids can sort it out when I give up the ghost.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659702 by garyrhook
Cold, dead hands, and all that.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659720 by Juan Anthony
1GB card?  LOL So what will that hold 4 photos?  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659726 by effron

Juan Anthony wrote: 1GB card?  LOL So what will that hold 4 photos?  

In my D800, not too many...but it was 2006, or 2007 if memory serves.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659752 by Shadowfixer1
In about 2003 or 2004 they came out with 512 MB card and it was $495. I was using 32 MB then 128 MB cards to start. I remember my first digital camera came with an 8MB card. It took about 30 seconds to clear one RAW image from the buffer. The camera was locked up until that image was written to the card. That's why I always used jpg for that camera.
4 years 6 months ago #659839 by CharleyL
My first digital camera a Sony FD95 used floppy disks. 1.2 megapixels or 4 photos per floppy at max resolution. For serious shoots I carried 4 batteries and 100 floppys. You guys are all nubies. We've come a long ways in 20 years.

Charley

4 years 6 months ago #659932 by Nefarious
I don't toss them out, they are in a zip lock baggy in my desk 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659944 by icepics
Save all mine too, just like I do my negatives. The ultimate back up!

I remember using a camera at work that took floppies, had forgotten about that one. It was - slow, very slow! lol Which maybe was partly why I didn't get into digital myself that soon and was still shooting film.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659972 by Camera Diva
Mine old cards are stuffed in front pocket of my camera bag.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660079 by Janos
Nope, not tossing, but also not sure where they all went!  Scattered through out my home and car. 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660107 by Moe
you kidding, I very rarely throw anything away unless it’s broken. If the memory card still works I don’t toss them. Which means I have a handful of memory cards floating around in my office desk.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660314 by Dave Burburry
Looks like most of use are on the same boat.  Funny how card size has evolved over the years.   Back in the day 16GB was a huge card.  Now it's tiny.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024