TSA check points with camera gear

1 month 2 weeks ago #660335 by Shadowfixer1
The swab was testing for explosive residue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 2 weeks ago #660382 by Johan Alonso
But isn't turning on a camera an invasion of your privacy?  

1 month 2 weeks ago #660391 by effron

Johan Alonso wrote: But isn't turning on a camera an invasion of your privacy?  

You surrender your privacy when you fly. If you only knew what they can do with your luggage....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #660399 by Blistered_Feet
I figured as much when they said it wasn't an issue with the battery. He basically said as much when I'd asked him, and I only did that because I was worry about possibly being delayed later on my international connecting flight.

Frankly, I'm happy they did it and wouldn't mind if it happened again (now that I know to expect it). I just wish they'd been a little more tactful with the lens.\

1 month 2 weeks ago #660452 by CharleyL
I once watched a guy being ushered off the TSA line because of traces of explosives. He was wearing dirty contractor work clothes and yelling "but it's my job to work with explosives". I'll bet that he showered and put on clean clothes before going to the airport after that episode. I wondered if he even made his flight that day.

Charley

1 month 2 weeks ago #660499 by garyrhook

CharleyL wrote: I once watched a guy being ushered off the TSA line because of traces of explosives. He was wearing dirty contractor work clothes and yelling "but it's my job to work with explosives".

He doesn't sound intelligent nor wise enough to be working with explosives.

Be afraid.

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #660506 by effron

garyrhook wrote:

CharleyL wrote: I once watched a guy being ushered off the TSA line because of traces of explosives. He was wearing dirty contractor work clothes and yelling "but it's my job to work with explosives".

He doesn't sound intelligent nor wise enough to be working with explosives.

Be afraid.

Hmmm...I must agree.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #660582 by Blistered_Feet
Talk about having a job that blows.

Question:
I was looking to see if there may be any issues with camera batteries during TSA checks and found that these are allowed on flights:

"CAMERA BATTERIES - Consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries."

Do we generally have to worry about the grams of lithium content? I use a Nikon and frankly, never checked for the amount of lithium in a battery, nor the watts (I suppose I will need to now). I've never seen them care about the watt hours, either, but they are certainly bigger than the batteries mentioned in the specified electronics... Except the 9 volt, but I guess it depends on the camera?

1 month 2 weeks ago #660628 by garyrhook

Blistered_Feet wrote: Do we generally have to worry about the grams of lithium content? I use a Nikon and frankly, never checked for the amount of lithium in a battery, nor the watts (I suppose I will need to now). I've never seen them care about the watt hours, either, but they are certainly bigger than the batteries mentioned in the specified electronics... Except the 9 volt, but I guess it depends on the camera?

Let me google that for you....

This article points out that labeling has been required for some time now. And another article has a photo of a Nikon EN-EL15a, which is clearly labeled 14 Wh. I'm not at home at the moment, or I'd look at my Pany batteries, and my Eneloops.

I don't see anything to be concerned about. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blistered_Feet

1 month 2 weeks ago #660676 by Zach Mosher
I've only been asked to have my camera bag open and iPad out.  Lucky me. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Winter photography can be a challenge for sure. But with these tips for winter photography, you can prepare yourself (and your gear) to get the best shots.

Nov 13, 2019

One of the critical aspects of creating awesome vlogs is having footage that's stabilized. With these methods for how to stabilize a camera, you'll have plenty of options for smooth video.

Nov 13, 2019

Photo by Cristian Grecu on Unsplash A Chinese university student tumbled off of one of China's largest mountains to her in death...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Karina on Unsplash Who among us doesn't have the intrinsically human desire to get absolutely smashed, incredibly naked...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Tim Bennett on Unsplash In a year of continuously bad news for Facebook, it turns out the iOS Facebook app has been...

Nov 12, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

The new Panasonic Lumix S Pro lenses have been announced, and they have some impressive specs. But will they be worth the huge price tags?

Nov 12, 2019

nikon d5100, nikon d5100 review, nikon d5100 specs, nikon d5100 price, nikon d5100 features, used nikon d5100

Nov 12, 2019