Making money as a travel photographer?

4 years 6 months ago #659800 by Kid Prodigy
The one thing I have always wanted to do is travel the world with my camera.  But reality always sets in and I come back to the conclusion that I have no idea how I would make money to survive and pay bills that are waiting for me back home.  

Yet, on Instagram and social media channels, I see photographers doing just that. So how are they able to make money?

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659818 by effron
They find people that'll pay them for photos or just advertise....more great photographers go unnoticed then otherwise....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659843 by Kenya See
You could sell prints, stock and try hitting up restaurants in the locations where you are traveling.  Schedule weddings.   

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659849 by Kid Prodigy
Cool beans, thank you.  When you say hitting up restaurants, are you talking about food photography or taking photos of guest?  

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659943 by icepics
I don't know if places would contract with a photographer travelling through; I wonder if they'd more likely hire someone local? I don't know if there would be a market for prints but it seems like you'd have to find someplace wherever you're going that would let you consign prints for sale (I know how it works locally, not sure how that would work overseas or in tourist locations, etc.). 

What about asking the travel photographers who are posting on social media how they went about it? 

Part of how they're making money if they're posting videos on YouTube is from ad revenue that accompanies their videos. So maybe they aren't really making a living from photography, are they also doing other sorts of jobs? do they have benefits/insurance etc. or paying for that themselves? are they paying into retirement or social security? There's a lot to consider and I wouldn't assume they're managing all that just from travel photography - maybe they are, maybe they have other means of income.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659947 by garyrhook
I'm listening to the most recent episode of The Candid Frame podcast, and Ibarionex is talking with Jeffrey Saddoris about this very subject. Well worth the listen.

The fact of the matter is, few people are going to able to do that, because it's extremely challenging. Also, they live very modest lives, with low overhead. I'll also bet that they learned their craft while funded by someone else. And they've figured out how to sell their services to someone, which means they're focused on building a business. Not just taking photographs.

You might look into travel blogging, too.

But yeah, try to contact the folks that appear to do it. Research podcasts to see if anyone is talking about that. Do a lot of googling.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659979 by KENT MELTON
@Gary - I was just looking for good photography podcasts, any others you would recommend?

Thank you!

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660078 by garyrhook

KENT MELTON wrote: @Gary - I was just looking for good photography podcasts, any others you would recommend?

Thank you!

While On Taking Pictures is defunct, the existing 325 episodes are well worth the time. As is all of the TCF backlog. I listen to Tips From the Top Floor, but it's mostly technical, and not always of interest to me. After OTP stopped, Jeffrey Saddoris started some different ones, and now publishes them under Everything. Brooks Jensen's LensWork is one of the best, IMO, but it's not technical, rather art and craft. For business, Momentum: The Marketing Podcast for Photographers is pretty good.

The best thing about all of these is the talent doesn't think it's all that and a bag of chips, not snarky, and not pretentious. I don't have the patience for people who think they're more clever than they are.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660098 by Pettigrew
Try setting up a website and selling prints, offer travel advice and perhaps offer tours if you know these areas well enough. 

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024