iPhone 11 Pro camera vs Nikon Z7 vs Sony a6400 vs iPhone X comparison review

4 years 7 months ago #659929 by Alex
Apple says iPhone 11 photos are DSLR or Mirrorless quality. We decided to test this with a iPhone 11 Pro vs Nikon Z7 vs Sony a6400 vs iPhone X comparison. See test results and my iPhone 11 Pro review.

Honestly, the camera on this phone is pretty impressive.  Check out the video to see sample photos and video.  I think you'll be surprised.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659965 by Richard K Photography
Hey Alex, I'm surprised on the video that iPhone 11 created.  However I knew the Z7 would take this one. 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660081 by garyrhook
After watching the video, I'm still not clear on what we're looking at. If those stills are JPGs from the cameras, then the comparison is meaningless. Different software is going to produce different results. And I don't recall hearing you mention anything about settings, although I could have missed it.

As for the video, same thing: that's the software in the camera talking.

The only takeaway here is that Apple has apparently discovered micro-contrast (clarity).

Or were all the stills developed from RAW captures and treated identically (with flat profiles) in post?

Any mobile phone, given adequate light, will create acceptable photographs. And with enough software work, noise can be addressed handily, again creating acceptable photographs. This is not news.

#wheresthebokeh

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660087 by KENT MELTON
I thought the message was clear.  It's a comparison, not a tough one to figure out.   You mentioned what Apple claims, and you went out to see if the results would be dslr quality.  Pretty straight forward of a video.

What I will say is your focus is off a little in the opening of the video.  Putting aside that, nice job on the clip.  

Alex I sent an email to your support team, I have a change in my email address.  If you can update that, that would be great.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #660106 by garyrhook

KENT MELTON wrote: I thought the message was clear.  It's a comparison, not a tough one to figure out.   You mentioned what Apple claims, and you went out to see if the results would be dslr quality.

Sorry, no. Comparison of what? That's not at all clear. If you spend any time thinking about what was presented, it comes off as an apples to oranges comparison. That's at best specious, at worst irresponsible.

Don't talk to me about comparing iPhone photos to DSLR photos without guidelines, parameters, and/or constraints. If I can take a RAW images from a Z7 and edit it, the Z7 will (should?) win every time (in the hands of a good photographer, of course). The iPhone ends up being just another mobile. I don't care what Apple claims, what matters are facts and defined methodologies.

Alex, on the other hand, looks fabulous.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660130 by selena18
I believe in that a professional DSLR camera never be replaced by  iPhone camera. But being a average person with a very average photography knowledge, they could not differentiate between a DSLR and iPhone. 

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #667154 by 320kbps-ring
There is a strong point in the iphone 11 pro and pro max that is the camera cluster. Taking photos in low light conditions is great, battery life is also great, sounds more vivid, iphone 11 pro ringtone  are louder.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024