Lexar SD memory card peeling apart

4 years 6 months ago #660362 by Craig Stone
Well this is a first.  I have a 256GB SD card from Lexar and the top is peeling from the bottom.  This is long out of any sort of warranty.  Plus I don't think they are even around still.  

But can this be glued with out damaging anything inside of it?  I was thinking Gorilla glue, but that expands and might make a mess.  Model glue?

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660380 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Craig

Firstly I would contact Lexar and advise them of the issue and ask for a return-&-replacement. Many SD cards I see the packaging says "lifetime warranty" .... which could mean 100 different things I realise

There also is the basic "Fair Trade' requirements that legally is described as "fit for purpose" and where we consumers can ask the manufacturer to provide goods 'fit for many years of use as per their advertising regime'

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 6 months ago #660392 by effron
I wouldn't glue anything then insert it in my camera. Buy another card, and forget Lexar....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660404 by ThatNikonGuy
+1 call up Lexar and see if they will swap it out

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660405 by Nikon Shooter

effron wrote: I wouldn't glue anything then insert it in my camera. Buy another card, and forget Lexar....

:agree:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660425 by Kenta
I'm going to question the advice.  If you can't get ahold of Lexar to support their product.  And if you can create a clean seal between the glued parts, why not?  256GB card I'm sure wasn't cheap.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660428 by garyrhook
What is unclear is where the failure is occurring on the card. If the separation is occurring at the non-business end, then perhaps a touch of glue, properly applied and cleaned, will secure the card. And it won't matter because that end doesn't actually have to fit into anything. If the fault is elsewhere, then there's some risk.

What I think folks forget is, this card may have been quite expensive when purchased. So I understand wanting to repair it.

Unfortunately, Lexar as you knew it is gone. The brand was purchased by Longsys, and existing products may not be supported. "Support" is likely non-existent.

If the choice is between "try to glue it and fail" and "throw it away" I'd likely try the glue.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660478 by Nathan D
Is it one of these 

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 6 months ago #660576 by Ben Vanderbilt
Hey Craig, did you glue this?  I can't imagine if you put just a tad on it, it should be fine. 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661359 by Kenya See
IMO, if you can glue it and it won't get stuck testing it out, why not?  Depending on when you got that card, that could have been a $400+ card.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661527 by Chester Foster
So did you glue it?  What happened?  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024