Japan vs Chinese vs German lens glass and filters?

4 years 6 months ago #660385 by Olivia
When it comes to lenses and filters, does it really matter which location the lenses are made at?  

If there is, then what is the difference?  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660390 by effron
Mostly the language on the packages. I'll stick with Japanese tech....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #660406 by Nikon Shooter

Olivia wrote: does it really matter which location the lenses are made at? If there is, then what is the difference?  

Yes, yes, and yes… it did!

Building a lens is a complicated endeavour and there was no way
out of trial and error before optic physics got serious.

The Germans, the Dutch, the Italians were among the pioneers but
then came the Japanese and, later,  the computer assisted techno-
logies.

At this point in the evolution of lenses, German lenses quality is ba-
sed on their traditions and the Japanese ones on their creations. As
for the others, on their lower end prices… and quality at this time.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660413 by fmw
Computer assisted design works the same in every country.  The only differences are accuracy of manufacture, tolerances, barrel materials and so forth.  I will leave it to you to determine the differences.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660432 by New but trying
This goes for basically anything ever made: where it's made doesn't dictate the quality. These days, there's no real trends between manufacturing countries, but price point. There are excellent Chinese lenses that severely undercut their counterparts. Basically, just look for good reviews and don't worry where it's made. :)

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660443 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Olivia

All good above re: lenses - but filters could be problematic because of counterfeiters

I had a student a year or so back whose "Hoya" filter had ripples in the glass. When holding the filter at 45deg to our line-of-sight, the ripples showed up badly ~ and it came to the user's attention when someone's face seemed to show a blemish that was not there in real life. The user mentioned that they bought the filter from that famous internet source that offers 'real cheap' products to all and sundry

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 6 months ago #660488 by Peter Nunez
IMHO you can't go wrong with either German or Japan glass.  
Chinese would be on a case by case basis for me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660493 by Piechura
The company doing the quality control is more the issue, I think. High end manufacturers wouldn't open factories in China if they couldn't ensure quality. Often they make their high end stuff in the home country though, but I wonder how much of that is about quality of manufacturing and how much is about security and protecting their technology.

As an example, I've heard that SLR Magic can make some great budget cinema lenses, but their quality control is nowhere near the likes of Zeiss or Sigma. Some reviewers mention that they had to send their lens back for a replacement a couple of times before getting a really good one. They probably figure that most of the people buying this sort of entry level lens won't notice any flaws anyway, which is probably a fair point.

4 years 6 months ago #660507 by effron

Peter Nunez wrote: IMHO you can't go wrong with either German or Japan glass.  
Chinese would be on a case by case basis for me.  

A lot of Nikon glass is produced in China under strict Japanese supervision.......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660614 by Matt Nguyen
But in that case, is it branded "Made in Japan" or "Made in China"?  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661358 by Kenya See
I was always under the impression that Japan was the best and I guess in my head German man glass was unofficially in the second spot.  Never thought about China made stuff so much as it's branding is associated with inexpensive.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661528 by Chester Foster
Go with Japanese filters when you have the option too.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024