Why not just shoot video rather than photos?

5 months 4 weeks ago #660580 by EOS Man
I was just thinking, when you consider what Apple is doing with their 'live view' and many cameras today shooting a zillion FPS with crazy high resolutions.  Why not just shoot video and in post grab the frames that you need?   2 birds one stone.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 4 weeks ago #660591 by Nikon Shooter

EOS Man wrote: 2 birds one stone.  

What if

— I don't want to kill the birds?
— I need only one bird?

Seriously, I don't shoot videos, I try to tell the story in a picture.
Maybe videos talk too much?

Plus I need the spontaneity and control of the snap… video shoot-
ingis another trade.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

5 months 4 weeks ago #660620 by garyrhook

EOS Man wrote: I was just thinking, when you consider what Apple is doing with their 'live view' and many cameras today shooting a zillion FPS with crazy high resolutions.  Why not just shoot video and in post grab the frames that you need?   2 birds one stone.  

Well, you have that wrong, and clearly haven't considered the technical aspects.

First off, video is only 4K, or 3860 pixels on the long edge. That turns out to be just under 8MP in the frame, total. Crazy high resolution? Um, no. Video doesn't come anywhere near using all of the resolution of even a 12MP sensor. Certainly not the full power of my D850.

Secondly, the parameters of a still shot may require a faster shutter speed to freeze motion. Video actually encourages a slower shutter speed to add motion (blur within the fame), so that the resulting visuals look realistic. For example, for your typical 24 fps cinema rate, the shutter speed is historically 1/48s. That's not fast enough for any reasonable still.

Thirdly, "zillion" FPS? You mean video at 60fps or 120fps? Or do you mean burst speed? The latter would correspond to a "spray-and-pray" strategy, which we all know to be a terrible and ineffective way to make photographs. As for the former, again, doesn't matter if all you're getting is a blurry 8MP image.

The right tool for the job. Always.

Photo Comments

5 months 4 weeks ago #660644 by EOS Man
Well that's why I was asking, I wasn't sure and thought I had considered the technology currently on the market.  Actually I was thinking what the astrophotography peeps do when photographing the planets.  The use some fancy software and extract the best frame.  Which is why I brought up Apples live view, as we can essentially do the same there.  Select the best frame that works for you.  

Anyway, I appreciate the answers.  Was just curious.   

Photo Comments

5 months 4 weeks ago #660649 by effron
Hook said, " Video doesn't come anywhere near using all of the resolution of even a 12MP sensor."

That's a bingo.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

5 months 4 weeks ago #660659 by fmw
Why not just shoot video rather than photos?

Because I prefer still photography.

Photo Comments

5 months 4 weeks ago #660681 by garyrhook

EOS Man wrote: Well that's why I was asking, I wasn't sure and thought I had considered the technology currently on the market.  Actually I was thinking what the astrophotography peeps do when photographing the planets.  The use some fancy software and extract the best frame.  Which is why I brought up Apples live view, as we can essentially do the same there.  Select the best frame that works for you.

I'm not that familiar with astrophotography, but I've only heard of using stills, not video. I don't see how video would help. But you mention Apple, which implies some sort of mobile phone magic, but that wouldn't necessarily apply to a DSLR or mirrorless system. And remember that iPhone sensors are only 12MP.

So, without further background information (which has never cross my radar) I can't say much about what some folks do. Only what I know about a DSLR or newer mirrorless.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: EOS Man

5 months 4 weeks ago #660685 by EOS Man
Well you got me digging a little more.  Found this article:  https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/planetary-imaging-with-your-dslr-camera/

That article covers that topic pretty well.  I'll need to read that again in the morning to let that soak in.  

Photo Comments

5 months 4 weeks ago #660819 by Glen Martin
GoPros new HERO8 will shot a 3 second video around images so you can extract perfect shot. 

Photo Comments

5 months 3 weeks ago #660863 by garyrhook
More thoughts... because I didn't think through all of the possibilities, and can't edit a post.

First off, came across this yesterday, talking about video stills.

https://vimeo.com/359140048/603c8b4abb

Less than two minutes, but on topic. What is interesting is the mention of 8K video.

Presuming one had adequate resolution (for me, at least 6K), what I didn't ponder was the fact that video settings can be set to anything one likes, include 1/250s at f/2.8, ISO 400. If one has the glass, of course.

What I wouldn't want to do is cull the frames, trying to decide which image is the "right" one. I wouldn't want to have to keep all of the original video to retain the single frame of interest.

Finally, what is fundamentally missing in most cameras is the fact that video is both compressed, and processed. It's not RAW, and it's not complete. Yes, there are cameras that do that, but they're expensive, AFAIK.

Thus, while it is possible to do what is suggested, I find that today it's not possible to fulfill my artistic vision using this technique. Still akin to spray-and-pray, not RAW, and not the same as a DSLR. More akin to a point-and-shoot, IMO. Re: the above post about a GoPro frame: sure, that can be done. I'd still rather shoot stills.

Apologies to the OP for not taking more time before my first post. I do think it makes for an interesting conversation about technology.

Photo Comments

5 months 3 weeks ago #660995 by Ben F
I have a trade off. I use photos for eye catching images but supplement that with b-roll of trips.

2 months 4 weeks ago #671145 by New but trying
Beyond the reasons mentioned above, cameras are getting pretty fast as it is. Some cameras can do 20 or 30 FPS with their electronic shutter and autofocus. My Canon M6 Mark II can do 14FPS with the mechanical shutter or 30FPS in RAW burst mode, which crops a bit but also gives you a buffer of frames before and after you press the shutter button.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're looking for cheap laptops under $500, look no further than this list of some of the best laptops 2020 has to offer. In many cases, these inexpensive laptops are well under $200!

Mar 27, 2020

If you're in the market for one of the best lenses for beginner photographers, look no further than these versatile, budget-friendly options for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and more.

Mar 26, 2020

Is Elephant Stock worth your hard-earned dollars for a custom canvas print? In my Elephant Stock Review, learn the good, the bad, and the ugly of getting one of their fine art canvas prints.

Mar 25, 2020

These wedding photography marketing tips will help you spread the word about your business and generate more income from an increased number of clients.

Mar 25, 2020

If you're wondering how to improve your photography business, look no further than these sensible tips. Gain new skills, expand your service offerings, and be prepared to expand your business in the future.

Mar 25, 2020

If simple photography mistakes are getting you down, learn how to avoid common beginner photography mistakes so you can improve the quality of your photos. These tips will get you started!

Mar 25, 2020

Looking for things to do at home to pass the time? Need some activities for quarantine? This list will get you going with tons of ideas and resources!

Mar 24, 2020

Photography insurance is a must-have, yet some photographers roll the dice without it. In this guide, learn how to get photography insurance without paying high premiums.

Mar 24, 2020