Why not just shoot video rather than photos?

4 years 6 months ago #660580 by EOS Man
I was just thinking, when you consider what Apple is doing with their 'live view' and many cameras today shooting a zillion FPS with crazy high resolutions.  Why not just shoot video and in post grab the frames that you need?   2 birds one stone.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660591 by Nikon Shooter

EOS Man wrote: 2 birds one stone.  

What if

— I don't want to kill the birds?
— I need only one bird?

Seriously, I don't shoot videos, I try to tell the story in a picture.
Maybe videos talk too much?

Plus I need the spontaneity and control of the snap… video shoot-
ingis another trade.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660620 by garyrhook

EOS Man wrote: I was just thinking, when you consider what Apple is doing with their 'live view' and many cameras today shooting a zillion FPS with crazy high resolutions.  Why not just shoot video and in post grab the frames that you need?   2 birds one stone.  

Well, you have that wrong, and clearly haven't considered the technical aspects.

First off, video is only 4K, or 3860 pixels on the long edge. That turns out to be just under 8MP in the frame, total. Crazy high resolution? Um, no. Video doesn't come anywhere near using all of the resolution of even a 12MP sensor. Certainly not the full power of my D850.

Secondly, the parameters of a still shot may require a faster shutter speed to freeze motion. Video actually encourages a slower shutter speed to add motion (blur within the fame), so that the resulting visuals look realistic. For example, for your typical 24 fps cinema rate, the shutter speed is historically 1/48s. That's not fast enough for any reasonable still.

Thirdly, "zillion" FPS? You mean video at 60fps or 120fps? Or do you mean burst speed? The latter would correspond to a "spray-and-pray" strategy, which we all know to be a terrible and ineffective way to make photographs. As for the former, again, doesn't matter if all you're getting is a blurry 8MP image.

The right tool for the job. Always.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660644 by EOS Man
Well that's why I was asking, I wasn't sure and thought I had considered the technology currently on the market.  Actually I was thinking what the astrophotography peeps do when photographing the planets.  The use some fancy software and extract the best frame.  Which is why I brought up Apples live view, as we can essentially do the same there.  Select the best frame that works for you.  

Anyway, I appreciate the answers.  Was just curious.   

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660649 by effron
Hook said, " Video doesn't come anywhere near using all of the resolution of even a 12MP sensor."

That's a bingo.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660659 by fmw
Why not just shoot video rather than photos?

Because I prefer still photography.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660681 by garyrhook

EOS Man wrote: Well that's why I was asking, I wasn't sure and thought I had considered the technology currently on the market.  Actually I was thinking what the astrophotography peeps do when photographing the planets.  The use some fancy software and extract the best frame.  Which is why I brought up Apples live view, as we can essentially do the same there.  Select the best frame that works for you.

I'm not that familiar with astrophotography, but I've only heard of using stills, not video. I don't see how video would help. But you mention Apple, which implies some sort of mobile phone magic, but that wouldn't necessarily apply to a DSLR or mirrorless system. And remember that iPhone sensors are only 12MP.

So, without further background information (which has never cross my radar) I can't say much about what some folks do. Only what I know about a DSLR or newer mirrorless.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: EOS Man
4 years 6 months ago #660685 by EOS Man
Well you got me digging a little more.  Found this article:  https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/planetary-imaging-with-your-dslr-camera/

That article covers that topic pretty well.  I'll need to read that again in the morning to let that soak in.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660819 by Glen Martin
GoPros new HERO8 will shot a 3 second video around images so you can extract perfect shot. 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660863 by garyrhook
More thoughts... because I didn't think through all of the possibilities, and can't edit a post.

First off, came across this yesterday, talking about video stills.

https://vimeo.com/359140048/603c8b4abb

Less than two minutes, but on topic. What is interesting is the mention of 8K video.

Presuming one had adequate resolution (for me, at least 6K), what I didn't ponder was the fact that video settings can be set to anything one likes, include 1/250s at f/2.8, ISO 400. If one has the glass, of course.

What I wouldn't want to do is cull the frames, trying to decide which image is the "right" one. I wouldn't want to have to keep all of the original video to retain the single frame of interest.

Finally, what is fundamentally missing in most cameras is the fact that video is both compressed, and processed. It's not RAW, and it's not complete. Yes, there are cameras that do that, but they're expensive, AFAIK.

Thus, while it is possible to do what is suggested, I find that today it's not possible to fulfill my artistic vision using this technique. Still akin to spray-and-pray, not RAW, and not the same as a DSLR. More akin to a point-and-shoot, IMO. Re: the above post about a GoPro frame: sure, that can be done. I'd still rather shoot stills.

Apologies to the OP for not taking more time before my first post. I do think it makes for an interesting conversation about technology.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660995 by Ben F
I have a trade off. I use photos for eye catching images but supplement that with b-roll of trips.

4 years 3 months ago #671145 by New but trying
Beyond the reasons mentioned above, cameras are getting pretty fast as it is. Some cameras can do 20 or 30 FPS with their electronic shutter and autofocus. My Canon M6 Mark II can do 14FPS with the mechanical shutter or 30FPS in RAW burst mode, which crops a bit but also gives you a buffer of frames before and after you press the shutter button.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024