Will Mirrorless Replace DSLR? - Concerns about Upgrading

4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #660686 by New but trying
So, I'm pretty new to photography, and I feel like I'm coming into the world of DSLRs right as the market seems to be transitioning to mirrorless. I'm concerned because I want to get more lenses for my Nikon D3300, but it seems that the future of the F-mount may be a bit uncertain. From rumors, it seems that Nikon will discontinue many of its DSLR models and replace them with mirrorless cameras. I would really like to step up to the D7500 or it's successor (since that seems to be one of the cameras that may get one), but I'm concerned about that if I continue investing into the F-mount, there aren't going to be any cameras compatible with it in the near future. I'm aware there are adapters, but as of yet, the only decent one for F-mount is for the Z-series and it's $250 (on top of the very expensive price of the camera). I'm not necessarily opposed to moving to different mirrorless system now because I don't have much invested in my setup, but there aren't nearly as many options for lenses currently, and they all seem to be much more expensive than a lot of DSLR lenses. I am also weary of buying new lenses because if Nikon focuses exclusively on mirrorless, the value of older F-mount lenses will probably fall drastically. I'm curious to see how Nikon's introduction of cheaper mirrorless cameras will influence the market (it should bring out some cheaper mirrorless lenses), and what they're going to do for APS-C, although I doubt they're going to put much effort into legacy support.

P.S. I also like the chunkiness of DSLRs and I'm not that fond of electronic viewfinders. Even the one on the Sony A7RIII was a bit disappointing; it didn't look that great and I was a little saddened to find that the color balance was severely off (and yes, I know you can adjust that, but even still it was never great).

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660688 by Matt Nguyen
I moved mirrorless and know a number of others who have too.  I also know some people are waiting for a couple more years before making that jump.  Nikon should have a Z5 coming out soon.  So the rumors say.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #660689 by New but trying
Yeah, I'm really interested in the Z5. We'll have to see though. Oh, and the D7600 (which is rumored to come out by the end of the year too). Maybe that'll be good enough that I wouldn't mind holding on to DSLRs for a while.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660691 by Nikon Shooter
The only chance I would invest in a mirrorless
is if I'd get more jobs where silence is required
and that seems unlikely.

So I'll go on with my trusty DSLRs.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660693 by New but trying
Sticking with DSLRs will be quite difficult if they stop making them. :P

I don't see that happening now, but certain segments will probably change...

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660696 by Chester Foster
You're talking about Nikon, I seem to recall seeing an article talking about how Nikon seems to be showing more interest and direction towards mirrorless than DSLRs.  

4 years 6 months ago #660708 by effron
Mirrorless is the future, but DSLRs won't stop working because of a new product. I'm sure when I finally get a Z whatever, I'll keep at least one DSLR in the bag....Its a good choice and should cause no anguish. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660732 by garyrhook

New but trying wrote: Sticking with DSLRs will be quite difficult if they stop making them. :P

I don't see that happening now, but certain segments will probably change...

As long as they sell, they'll be made. Lenses don't wear out (they get mistreated) and nothing prevents one from using lenses made 20 years ago. In a DSLR, the only thing that wears out is the shutter, and that can be replaced.

DSLRs have a good life, still, IMO, which will easily take us to the point that mirrorless models are comparable. At which point, you'll likely find adapters on the used market, too.

Don't worry about the future; it will take care of itself. If you want a camera, buy one based on what's available today.

I, for one, have never regretted my choice of Nikon, and am on my third body.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660734 by New but trying
Yeah, that seems like sound advice. Cameras are so good, by the time I'll want to upgrade, there will probably be cheaper adapters and cameras. It's definitely gonna take time, but I'm interested to see what happens. Also, B&H has refurbished D7500s for $600, which seems slightly insane to me.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660824 by michaelsmith
Don't worry, the DSLRs will stick on for a while more. Too many people have invested heavily into Canon and Nikon's DSLR systems for them to switch focus completely to the mirrorless industry. It is true that both these companies are heavily investing into mirrorless cameras, but that does not mean they are ignoring the DSLR. For example, Canon announced both 90D (DSLR) and M6 Mark II (mirrorless) together and the 90D is doing very well. 

4 years 6 months ago #660987 by H Rocky
Seeing more and more people jumping ship.  I think once Nikon and Canon invest more time into mirrorless, you'll have more people jumping ship to mirrorless.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661246 by Crammer
Look at how long film stuck around.  If you like DSLR cameras, buy one.  You'll likely find some deals.  1 year from now, 5 years, even 10 years+ you'll be able to easily find lenses.  When you are ready to jump to mirrorless, you always have the adapters that you can use to adapt your older glass. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024