Alaska or Maine for photographic trip?

4 years 6 months ago #661614 by Nathan D
My wife and I narrowed down a couple locations for our fall trip.  Just a long weekend trip to get out before the hard core winter comes.   She knows I want to get out and take photos, so we feel both locations will be very photogenic.  

So now that we have these, I'm on the fence and can't make a final decision.  If you were going to go spend 4 days 3 nights at either location, which would you do?

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661636 by Nikon Shooter
With that little time, I would choose Maine in Autumn!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661657 by effron

Nikon Shooter wrote: With that little time, I would choose Maine in Autumn!

Yup.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661660 by Shadowfixer1
Third vote for Maine.
4 years 6 months ago #661669 by JaneK
Plus all the lobster chowder!  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #661693 by effron
Its looking mighty good down east right now.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661700 by Instamixes
I think Maine will be the best place for these days because of autumn. You can shoot some great pictures there.

4 years 6 months ago #661795 by garyrhook
If all you have is a few days, then Maine. If you want wildlife, Baxter State Park, not Acadia. Otherwise, lots of great coastline.

The problem with Alaska is that there's so much of it.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661820 by effron

garyrhook wrote: . If you want wildlife, Baxter State Park, not Acadia. Otherwise, lots of great coastline.

I've been to Acadia in the fall....once, and that was enough. Seemingly hundreds of thousands leaf peepers (different kind if wildlife), always in the way. New York's Adirondacks is as bad, but much bigger than Acadia.
Baxter is a good tip.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661824 by garyrhook

effron wrote:

garyrhook wrote: . If you want wildlife, Baxter State Park, not Acadia. Otherwise, lots of great coastline.

I've been to Acadia in the fall....once, and that was enough. Seemingly hundreds of thousands leaf peepers (different kind if wildlife), always in the way. New York's Adirondacks is as bad, but much bigger than Acadia.
Baxter is a good tip.

Thanks.

I don't evaluate a park based upon its popularity. And since I, personally, could spend days photographing the Acadia coast alone, I think it's worthwhile. But I was there one year ago at this time, and the fall color was, at best, disappointing. The weather was challenging, too. But I hope to go back again, simply for the coastline. And I'd try to get onto Egg Rock. And I'd take a whale sightseeing cruise. In Spring, if I could help it, next time.

The OP didn't mention why or what, just where. I just thought I'd add some points of interest.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661826 by Dave Worton
Never been to Maine, I would go there.  As cliche as it sounds, the sea food sounds so good!

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661915 by Dana Leeson
For me, I'd be all about Maine.  I just heard its so beautiful there.  So easy decision for me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661962 by SJM
Hey speaking of Maine, have any of you tried the lobster sandwiches?  :drool:   Anyway for me, as you guessed.  Maine.  Plus don't you get more leaves turning color in Maine?

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662066 by Ian Stone
+1 Maine.  Only because I have been there and the people are so friendly and just a fun place to visit.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662233 by michaelsmith
I am going to vote for Alaska because it going to be cold, lonely and theres sheer vast landscapes of emptiness and a sense of being away from the rest of the world. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024