250 € Cup of Tea

1 year 8 months ago #661754 by Nikon Shooter
I like to have tea or coffee when post processing; I would not,
however, put down the cup right in front of me.

Starting a post processing session yesterday, my sweet daugh-
ter prepared me an Earl Grey like only her has the secret. She
was moving to put it in front of me as I was going to insert the
XQD card in the reader. Our hands met somewhere and, of cour-
se, the XQD went for a short but very warm swim. COMMOTION!

I quickly got it out of there doing the best I could to get the wa-
ter out and dry the diver.

After what felt like an adrenaline rush, I dared put it in the reader:
no signal! :(  Pulled it out, shook it some more, and try again. :(
I repeated two more times and it did popup on the desktop.

The job was safe as the SD backup card was still in the camera 
and the XQD read the files so I could proceed. I hope it is good… I
shall see in the very near future.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661767 by Dave Worton
Oh crap!  

Wait, were you able to access the files from the card?  I understand you had backup from the SD card, but the XQD card, did that start working?  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #661771 by Nikon Shooter

Dave Worton wrote: Wait, were you able to access the files from the card?  I understand you had backup from the SD card, but the XQD card, did that start working?  


Yes Dave, at the third attempt… like I said:

Nikon Shooter wrote: … the XQD read the files so I could proceed. I hope it is good… I shall see in the very near future.


Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661773 by KevinH

Nikon Shooter wrote: I like to have tea or coffee when post processing; I would not,
however, put down the cup right in front of me.

Starting a post processing session yesterday, my sweet daugh-
ter prepared me an Earl Grey like only her has the secret. She
was moving to put it in front of me as I was going to insert the
XQD card in the reader. Our hands met somewhere and, of cour-
se, the XQD went for a short but very warm swim. COMMOTION!

I quickly got it out of there doing the best I could to get the wa-
ter out and dry the diver.

After what felt like an adrenaline rush, I dared put it in the reader:
no signal! :(  Pulled it out, shook it some more, and try again. :(
I repeated two more times and it did popup on the desktop.

The job was safe as the SD backup card was still in the camera 
and the XQD read the files so I could proceed. I hope it is good… I
shall see in the very near future.


Exactly why I enjoy having a second card in the camera. Nothing like a good insurance policy. Hope it all worked out for you NS.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661774 by Nikon Shooter
Thanks Kevin… but I wonder what if there
had been some kind of sugar in the tea?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661775 by KevinH

Nikon Shooter wrote: Thanks Kevin… but I wonder what if there
had been some kind of sugar in the tea?


Something about a spoonfull of sugar and medicine :silly:


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661800 by Ian Stone
Oh yeah, this could have ended a lot worse.  Well glad to hear you were able to get that working again.  So how was the teas flavor?


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661801 by Nikon Shooter
One will have to work harder to spoil my daughter's tea!
I dipped cookies a lot but this was the first card…

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661837 by Frisco
You lucked out!  

My luck the card would have stopped working and images gone.  

Happy there was a silver lining to this story.  

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661839 by Nikon Shooter
Earl Grey magic? I don't know… its power will
be revealed in the next days or weeks I guess.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661870 by Amy Porter
Wait what brand of memory card was this that fell?


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661871 by Nikon Shooter
That, Amy, was a Sony XQD but don't rush as
I still don't know if anything will come up!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #661921 by Frisco

Nikon Shooter wrote: Earl Grey magic? I don't know… its power will
be revealed in the next days or weeks I guess.


Hey you never know!  Well I'm happy all is worked out. 

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #662113 by Cory J
At least it wasn't coffee with some sort of sugar creamer in with it.  That would have made a mess of things.  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
1 year 8 months ago #662125 by Nikon Shooter
I did the first shoot at the marsh today and it
looks like all is good for now.

In fact, Cory, it was not the absence of some-
thing but the scale the accident happened.
The good outcome has more to do with the
surface tension principle.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,

802.3K

205K

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D700 is pretty long in the tooth now, but that doesn't mean that it still doesn't offer great specs and features for some photographers in 2021.

Jun 14, 2021

The Canon EOS M6 is four years old and has since been replaced with the M6 Mark II. But it's still a solid camera, particularly for beginners and vloggers.

Jun 08, 2021

The Canon EOS 60D is more than a decade old, but it still has plenty of punch left that makes it a solid and inexpensive camera for today's photographers.

Jun 07, 2021

The Canon EOS M3 is several years old now, and though it might have been overshadowed by other small, highly-capable cameras, its long-term value is evident in 2021.

Jun 05, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo restoration serves a very important purpose in allowing us to preserve memories of days gone by - but that's just one reason why restoration is critical.

Jun 14, 2021

The Nikon D700 is pretty long in the tooth now, but that doesn't mean that it still doesn't offer great specs and features for some photographers in 2021.

Jun 14, 2021

While the quality of the images you take is important, so too is the customer experience you give your photography clients. Get some tips on how to improve that experience in this guide.

Jun 14, 2021

Learning how to work remotely as a photographer requires a commitment to being organized, only taking the gear you need, and staying in touch with clients.

Jun 11, 2021

With these outdoor photography tips, you'll learn some tricks of the trade to get better images this summer.

Jun 09, 2021

Not sure how to fix bright sunlight in listing photos? In this guide, you'll learn quick and easy techniques to make your interior real estate photos shine.

Jun 09, 2021

With these crucial photography business tips, you'll learn methods of how to get more online reviews that will help improve your business' online reputation.

Jun 08, 2021

Learning how to use contrast in your photos is a key way to improve the quality of your images. Learn a few tricks for doing so in this guide.

Jun 08, 2021