inclimant weather

5 months 3 weeks ago #662124 by Blistered_Feet
This is an odd question because I don't know anyone willing to risk their equipment, but I was hoping someone might have an idea. I'd say it's not quite stupid but probably borders on impossible. Essentially, I would like to know if there is a way to protect my camera and lenses without manufactured equipment (like how people build shadowboxes or functioning pinhole cameras) when the weather can turn bad very quickly. Here's why I ask:

I've been dying to take my camera out and had planned to photograph my school festival. However, there is a typhoon that we were hoping would pass quickly. Some of the stalls will be outside (unless there is severe risk of flying debris, flooding, etc.) and I would still like to take these photographs if possible.

Unfortunately, bringing all of my gear was not an option as my bags were beyond full. I really only have my lenses, polarizers, memory cards, and cleaning equipment (not that these would actually help in typhoon weather). I have no real way to protect the camera body from getting wet outside of the bag or simply leaving it in the room. I also wanted to take a few nice shots of the little lakes in the parking lot while it rains, but have no way to do so without actually being out in it. I have a 70-300mm lens, but I'm not sure if I can get close enough to the area and still get a decent shot without getting wet. I was going to try from a safe and dry place in case it works, but if it doesn't, I would like an alternative if possible.

PS. I am not willing to risk totaling my equipment for a few photos (I'm here for a year and there is no way I can just go pick up another body and lenses) by assuming that a just plastic bag would suffice, unless the odds of it being damaged are slim. I've seen pictures that appear to have been taken in inclement weather, but I'm not sure how I can do it or if the other photos were an optical illusion (ie. taken from a car or with a particular lens). I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance for the information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 3 weeks ago #662325 by Fran Welch
Have you tried one of those covers from Peak Design?  

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #662454 by Blistered_Feet

Fran Welch wrote: Have you tried one of those covers from Peak Design?  

5 months 2 weeks ago #662455 by J Hemingway
+1 agree

You can use the one from Peak Design or there are dozens of other options.   Honestly a clear plastic bag will work just fine.  Cut a hole in opposite end and use a rubber band around your lens.  

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #662456 by Blistered_Feet

Fran Welch wrote: Have you tried one of those covers from Peak Design?  

Sorry for the late reply. No I haven't used one before. If you have, or know anyone who has, may I ask a question about it?

I was looking at the pics available on their website, but I noticed an issue with the design as it pertains to my lenses. I like that it describes the sleeve to be a "snug fit, "unfortunately, NIKON has decided to put a lock on the new camera lenses and you have to manually adjust the lens to the lowest mm in order to use it. Additionally, It's a pain without a cover, but would I be able to easily adjust the lens once covered, or would it be difficult to adjust manually due to the 'snug fit'?

Ps. Apologies for the first reply. My computer lagged and submit when I hit "enter" to type my reply.

5 months 2 weeks ago #662478 by effron
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D800
Lens: 16.0-35.0 mm f/4.0
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/20 sec
Captured: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 9:44am

That's what I do.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
Attachments:

5 months 2 weeks ago #662609 by Overread
+1 doesn’t look pretty, however it works!

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #662744 by Blistered_Feet

effron wrote: That's what I do.

Considering the locking mechanism on the lens, I actually think I like this option. I don't have a tripod, but I don't think that would be too big of an issue. Thanks!

5 months 2 weeks ago #662789 by effron

Blistered_Feet wrote:

effron wrote: That's what I do.

Considering the locking mechanism on the lens, I actually think I like this option. I don't have a tripod, but I don't think that would be too big of an issue. Thanks!

That particular plastic bag is the same one UPS leaves deliveries on wet days. You can cut and shape them to size, and toss in the trash when they get damaged!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blistered_Feet

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Mpix is a popular online printer. But the question is, are Mpix products like their metal prints worth the price? Find out in this Mpix metal print review!

Apr 03, 2020

This best cameras for beginners 2020 list includes the best DSLRs for beginners and the best mirrorless cameras for beginners at affordable prices.

Apr 02, 2020

real estate photography business, improve your real estate photography business, tips for improving your real estate photography business, real estate photography business tips

Apr 01, 2020

Learning how to become a professional photographer might not be as hard as you think. With these tips on becoming a freelance photographer, you'll be able to get the process started more quickly.

Apr 01, 2020

The Haida M15 filter system is a great piece of photography gear that allows me to use the same filters with many different camera lenses.

Apr 01, 2020

If you're in need of some good reads during the pandemic, give this list of the best photography books a try. Each one is an Amazon best selling photography book!

Apr 01, 2020

Believing these photography myths can get you in a lot of trouble. Instead, use these photography tips and techniques to prepare yourself to build a better business.

Apr 01, 2020

To protect your camera gear (and your monetary investment), there are a few things you need to do. One of them is to use a bag that will protect your camera gear from breakage.

Mar 31, 2020