Photographing directly into the sun

4 years 5 months ago #662747 by Sharna Lee
Help me out here.  If you photograph the sun behind a cloud and the cloud moves and the camera exposes with the direct sun hitting it.  Will it damage the sensor of the camera?  For some reason I thought it would, which has me concerned.  

Let me know please.  Thank you. 

Sharna

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662752 by Nikon Shooter
You are talking about the Sun that shines at full power
and a sensor that is meant to work best at 18% of that.

There is a lot more to be said than "no good" for sure but
it is like your eyes, a short time blinds a bit but no longer.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharna Lee
4 years 5 months ago #662761 by Sharna Lee

Nikon Shooter wrote: You are talking about the Sun that shines at full power
and a sensor that is meant to work best at 18% of that.

There is a lot more to be said than "no good" for sure but
it is like your eyes, a short time blinds a bit but no longer.

So what would happen to the sensor, or better yet, if the sensor did get damaged, how would one know?

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662767 by Blistered_Feet
I'm curious about this too, although for a different reason. Would lowering the ISO effect how long a sensor can be exposed to direct sunlight? Would that work for Sharna's scenario also? Or would the photo risk exposure issues (though I assume this is probably an issue anyway)?

I've read that it's what some photographers do for sunrises, though I'm not sure sensor damage is what they are avoiding, rather than overexposure. I'm not usually trying to photograph the sun, so I'm not

4 years 5 months ago #662768 by Nikon Shooter

Sharna Lee wrote: So what would happen to the sensor, or better yet, if the sensor did get damaged, how would one know?

The blinded chip could be up to "severely damaged".

It's operation will reflect the degree of disfunction in
the recorded files from partly to general to end with
possibly no recording at all.

Threat your sensor as you would your eyes.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662769 by Nikon Shooter

Blistered_Feet wrote: Would lowering the ISO effect how long a sensor can be exposed to direct sunlight? I've read that it's what some photographers do for sunrises, though I'm not sure sensor damage is what they are avoiding, rather than overexposure. I'm not usually trying to photograph the sun, so I'm not

Any measure — not only ISO — to capture the scene within
normal operation condition MUST taken as, with such light
source, the violence to the sensor is critical.

It is, OTH, very OK to contemplate getting the Sun in your
shots as long as one proceeds with caution.

I did these for a corporate client…

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662773 by Blistered_Feet

Nikon Shooter wrote: It is, OTH, very OK to contemplate getting the Sun in your
shots as long as one proceeds with caution.

Thanks NS, I appreciate the clarification. I tend not to photograph the sun partially out of habit, but I also lean more toward nature and macro photography (I like the various shading). I think I will need to learn a lot more before I attempt it, but after seeing your photos, I'm excited by the new challenge.

I do have another question though. I know a bit of vocabulary, but I haven't seen the acronym OTH before. I checked the glossary and didn't find it there, either. Could you please explain it? Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

4 years 5 months ago #662777 by Nikon Shooter
Should have read OTOH for "on the other hand". :P

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662787 by effron
" and the cloud moves and the camera exposes with the direct sun hitting it.  Will it damage the sensor"

No.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662797 by Alfonso Camil
But when the sun is setting the intensity has been cut down which makes it OK.  That's what another photographer had told me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662813 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, it has been but this is no limit nor is it a condition.

Even a full mid day Sun may be captured safely when
exposed correctly… and that may mean nominal ISO,
highest speed, smallest aperture and, if necessary, ve-
ry dark ND filters.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662815 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

Should one consider ƒ 1.4 to ƒ 22, 30s to 1/8000s, and
say 100 ISO to 6400 ISO, the total luminosity that is
controllable is in the order of 1 : 268, 435, 456 times …
Much greater than the human eye can cope with.

If one is working with a DSLR, the danger will be more
for the eye than for the sensor.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662820 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Shana, NS and others

NS is quite correct in saying that the sensor will cater for what comes along as "sunrise or sunset" sort of pictures as shown above

However what is well known to kill sensors is laser light. Quite a few cameras have died during those music concerts that have rotating laser beams flashing all around the place after bouncing off the revolving mirror - and the camera suddenly develops a "blind streak" across a straight line of pixels

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 5 months ago #662871 by KENT MELTON
100% on lasers and sensors.  I was just watching this video, watch till the end (it's short) 

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662872 by KENT MELTON
Another

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024