How to deliver photos to new clients?

4 years 6 months ago #662771 by Photo Amigo
I've just completed my first paid photo shoot on Monday and will have photos ready this afternoon for my client.  One thing I didn't think about is how best to get the photos to my client.  

Can I ask how you deliver photos to your clients?

4 years 6 months ago #662780 by Nikon Shooter
I have very few private clients and go for corporate ones.
I deliver in person. it is always good to cultivate a personal
contact and stay in touch with them.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662782 by garyrhook

Photo Amigo wrote: One thing I didn't think about is how best to get the photos to my client.

Um, cart -> horse.

You have the following options:
  1. Delivery of prints
  2. Delivery of digital images on media of CD/DVD
  3. Delivery of digital images on media of USB drive (thumb/flash drive)
  4. Delivery of digital images on via Google Drive/Dropbox/similar
  5. Delivery of digital images on through a private area on your website
You can mail or hand delivery prints or media, or make digital files available online for download.

The question is really: what kind of photographer do you want to be? Are you trying to grow a business, or just pump out images and move on (shoot & burn)?

IMNSHO (in my not-so-humble opinion) if you are serious about creating a business, then you
  • need a website for your portfolio
  • that also provides private galleries for your clients
  • you're registered as a business in your state
  • you collect and report sales taxes as appropriate
  • you report your income on your tax return
  • you think about liability and equipment insurance
I make my digital products available to the customer forever. I mail prints for my dance studio customers, but portrait work is more high-touch.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662785 by effron

garyrhook wrote:

Photo Amigo wrote: One thing I didn't think about is how best to get the photos to my client.

Um, cart -> horse.

1. Delivery of prints
You can mail or hand delivery prints or media, or make digital files available online for download.

The question is really: what kind of photographer do you want to be? Are you trying to grow a business, or just pump out images and move on (shoot & burn)?

IMNSHO (in my not-so-humble opinion) if you are serious about creating a business, then you
I make my digital products available to the customer forever. I mail prints for my dance studio customers, but portrait work is more high-touch.

Correct 100% and should be mostly obvious?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662831 by Photo Amigo

garyrhook wrote:

Um, cart -> horse.

1. Delivery of prints

Damn, I'm so glad I posted this question.  

Thank you.  Really, thank you for taking the time to type all that out!

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm very new to much of this and learning as I go.  So website that does what you mentioned, any idea how much does something like that cost to set up?  

So speaking of taxes, I live in San Diego and get down to Mexico very often.  I have been doing work for free in both places.  But like I said earlier, I have just taken my first paid gig, which was in San Diego.  Now regarding taxes, if my business was established here in San Diego, do I have to report income made while in Mexico?  

4 years 6 months ago #662844 by Moe
try SmugMug or wix.com

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662847 by Stanly
Zen folio is another

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662877 by NickSano
Benefit of going with Smugmug or Zenfolio is these sites will handle most everything you need to worry about.  So you are better off going that route vs having one built from Wordpress.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #662933 by garyrhook

Photo Amigo wrote: Thank you.  Really, thank you for taking the time to type all that out!

You're very welcome. I type pretty fast ;-)

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm very new to much of this and learning as I go.  So website that does what you mentioned, any idea how much does something like that cost to set up?  

So speaking of taxes, I live in San Diego and get down to Mexico very often.  I have been doing work for free in both places.  But like I said earlier, I have just taken my first paid gig, which was in San Diego.  Now regarding taxes, if my business was established here in San Diego, do I have to report income made while in Mexico? 

We all have to learn, and starting a business requires a lot of new information that many of us don't have. I was lucky to find someone that had a business, and asked lots of questions. Find a local meetup that is attended by pros and find one that would like to be helpful.

Websites: PhotoShelter, SmugMug, ZenFolio, SquareSpace, Pixieset to name a few. Cost depends upon features, and how they charge. (I'll ignore performance and reliability... google for that.) You'll have to do some homework. I pay $155 annually for my ZF site, and am setting up another at SS that runs just under $150.

You need to register in CA, you need to verify what is/isn't (state) taxable, and collect/report sales tax. As for Mexico, you should find a CPA that is familiar with Mexico law and discuss with them. Foreign income makes your US tax return a bit more complex.  Good luck.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #662986 by Tony Imaging
+1 excellent post from Gary. 

Regarding your income you are making from Mexico, yes you need to report that:  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/income-from-abroad-is-taxable

Welcome to the site!  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663202 by Amy Porter
Personally I am now using either Google or Dropbox, depends on the client.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024