Getting sued on your own photos when someone steals them

4 years 6 months ago #662921 by Sue Bidwell
This is a completely made up scenario.  However the more I started to think about this, it had me thinking of what would happen if this made up scenario were to take place. 

So you post a photo online somewhere.  Someone unknown to you takes the photo and has the nerve to register the photo.  Then years later decides to sue you when you use your own photo, but they believe it's there because they have used it for so long.  

So, would you have any recourse here?  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662923 by effron
Backed up files and maybe a lawyer will be all you need, me thinks. Why worry though?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662931 by garyrhook
You would, in a court of law, need to prove you created the image. I'm not sure what would be required to accomplish that.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662936 by icepics
You can register the copyright yourself for photos you plan to post online. As soon as you register, the photos are considered copyrighted, even if it takes time to receive confirmation from the US Copyright office. You can register a large number of photos as a set at one time. (Some of this could have changed, check to see what's current.)

Supposedly it would be easier to show ownership if copyright is registered, even though a photographer automatically owns the rights to any photos they take.

Look at Terms & Conditions on any site where you intend to post photos and make sure the website doesn't allow for others or the website itself to take and use your photos. When you use a site you're agreeing to their Terms so find out what you're agreeing to as far as usage.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662942 by garyrhook

icepics wrote: You can register the copyright yourself for photos you plan to post online. As soon as you register, the photos are considered copyrighted, even if it takes time to receive confirmation from the US Copyright office.

Clarification: the Supreme Court (in its infinite wisdom.. really, I can't roll my eyes enough) have decided that this is not the whole story. At least, if you want to sue for infringement.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/us-supreme-court-decides-two-copyright-cases-and-impacts-registration-strategy

I abhor the clowns appointed to this court.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662952 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sue

The other side to this scenario might be ... that one specific image being challenged may on your part be one of a series of images taken by you on that specific date and location. As all of us seem to keep a selection of images from a location or photo shoot - rather than a single image in isolation - it would be easy enough to challange the 2nd person to show what I'll refer to here "as the rest of the photo shoot".

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 6 months ago #662954 by CharleyL
I always crop my photos slightly that I will be posting. That way, I have the original size on file, just in case. 

Charley

4 years 6 months ago #662958 by Sue Bidwell

effron wrote: Backed up files and maybe a lawyer will be all you need, me thinks. Why worry though?

Nope, I'm not.  It was just something I was thinking about.  Wondering actually.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662959 by Sue Bidwell

garyrhook wrote: You would, in a court of law, need to prove you created the image. I'm not sure what would be required to accomplish that.

I was just thinking about that.  If you had the original, wouldn't that match the camera that I owned.  But would each EXIF data be specific to one camera? 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #662968 by Tony Imaging
I think you are putting to much thought into all of this.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #662983 by Troponin
Before I lose my mind on this topic, I’ll just say that with US law, anything is possible. There is a law called declaratory relief in which a company can start as lawsuit against someone claiming the company stole their art. In the music business, this happens and artists are commonly screwed when it happens, although rare.

Our system really needs cleaned up. It’s has become a s*** show and the only people that benefit are the lawyers and dirty judges. Most of them are not educated or experienced enough in this area to understand how vulnerable artists are 

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663137 by Camera Diva
What? I would be very surprised if something like this was difficult to prove in the courts.  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663158 by Adam Nagle
There are so many attorneys that just need to get a life and stop creating these BS cases.   

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663167 by garyrhook

Adam Nagle wrote: There are so many attorneys that just need to get a life and stop creating these BS cases.   

News flash: attorneys don't create cases without clients. And I'll respectfully suggest that people that draw blanket conclusions based on little information are, at best, ill-informed. An honest assessment of anything requires collecting data and critical thinking, not just assertions about alleged "winners".

And in case I'm not clear, I think that if you're going to bitch about something it should be specifics, not generalizations.

I could be wrong, but I'll take our judicial system over most of the rest of the world's any day, flaws notwithstanding.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663268 by Prago
True, it’s all the wacky people that pay the attorneys who were there to make a living.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024