Real Estate Photographers - Is this a fair rate to charge?

4 years 6 months ago #663382 by Nefarious
I'm trying to get into real estate photography as a way to make a few bucks.  I have spoken with a local realtor and he told me that the going rate was $225 per shoot during good times.  However times are slow and he would offer $185 per shoot (per house).  

I don't know yet how long it will take per house, and typically how many photos they will expect from me.  I had cold called this realtor, left a message.  He called me back and only had a few minutes to talk.  So he just mentioned the above, and said if was interested to call him back on Friday and we could discuss other details.  I'm going to call him back, however I would like to get some feedback from others first to help negotiate AND know if I'm getting a good deal or not.  

Thank you

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #663405 by Nikon Shooter
If you're good at something, don't work for less!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #663409 by garyrhook
Real estate work doesn't pay a lot for mid-priced homes, sadly. An agent will make 3%, which for a $300,000 house is only $9,000. Out of that come a lot of expenses, so you can see why he doesn't want to fork over much more than %2 of his income for photos.

That's actually not a bad number, as I understand it.

Your job is to be able to walk in, quickly and effectively light and shoot each room, and get the exterior, then go home, PP, and deliver quickly. The less time you spend, the more lucrative the job. You want to avoid PS work at all costs. Your agreement should be to shoot as-is; it's the agent's job to stage the home.

If you've little experience at this, recommend Zillow to get a sense of what you think works/doesn't work, and what an appealing image should look like. Don't try for Architectural Digest, try for appealing.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #663410 by Screamin Scott
Fees vary according to locale as well. Many realtors are shooting their own except in upscale neighborhoods. Plus a lot are going with videographers as opposed to still photographers.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #663417 by effron
Agents all own cameras these days and think they're photographers. You must decide if that's a fair wage, and if you need the work will influence that.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #663563 by ThatNikonGuy
Some good post here.  Personally I would still try to get over $200 for each. 

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663622 by Moe
eh, $200 Would be my lowest

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663627 by icepics
Are times slow in your area? Houses are selling where I live!

Look at your local newspaper real estate section or realtor websites and see what the photos look like. In my area for most typical houses it looks like the realtors took cell phone pictures; high end or commercial propery listings use professional looking photos.

The pro photographer organizations like PPA or asmp.org have links to a pricing guide.

You need to consider being paid for your time and ability (incl. learning and practicing etc. which makes it challenging to price creative work); as well as overall cost of maintaining/updating  equipment, taking courses/workshops, gas mileage/travel time, etc. etc. If you make enough to pay taxes on this you'd need to consider that as well.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663641 by Luca
I think with the commission that realtors make, they can afford to pay more

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663642 by garyrhook

Luca wrote: I think with the commission that realtors make, they can afford to pay more

Do you know anything about how the business works? Primarily their expenses? It's an interesting line of business, and not quite what you might expect.

Of course, a lack of information never keeps anyone from having an opinion, but still.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663703 by Nefarious
Thanks everyone, you gave me something to think about this weekend!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024