Camera for youtube

4 years 4 months ago #664214 by Ekarolina
HiI am planning to have my youtube channel, it will be about travelling and culinary. Since I will be holding the camera myself, I really consider to buy camera with Ultra wide angle lens. Let’s say my budget is quite a lot.1. At the moment I own Canon EOS M. Should I just buy an ultra wide camera lens for this camera? (i am thinking Canon EF-M 11-22 mm). But is Canon EOS M good enough, since I bought it around 7 years ago.2. I am considering to buy Sony RX100 vii, but it doesn’t have Ultra wide angle lens, so, no.3. I am considering Lumix GH5 or G85, and then buy the ultra wide angle lens (Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4 ASPH. Lens). I searched around, but it seems like this camera and lens are quite old, around more than 5 years ago. Is this still good enough for 2019?4. What should I buy? The camera has to have these requirements: 4K video, ultra wide angle lens, good autofocus, flipscreen, good camera for photography (since I will be blogging as well). My budget is up to 2500 USD.Thank you so much in advance.

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #664308 by garyrhook
Suggest you stick with the EOS M series. There have been upgrades, and I think it's at M6 now.

You also want to consider a fully articulated screen, which I believe the M has. I can't confirm that the RX100 has that feature.

Buying a wide angle lens for the sake of buying a wide angle lens makes no sense. Google vloggers and see what gets used. Go to a store and try out different lenses.

You might also consider a good gimbal that will allow for smooth visuals.

You list technical requirements (although why anyone would care about 4K for vlogging is beyond me) so you can decide which model of camera meets those requirements.

No matter what, you need to go to a store and use the camera. See how it feels, learn to operate it. Make sure it makes sense to you. If not, you'll just be frustrated.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #664319 by Ian Stone
The problem with the RX100 is that you can't get ND filters on that easily.  If you are shooting video's you'll want to have your shutter speed double of your focal length.  If you are outdoors in sunlight, that will be impossible with out a ND filter.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #664321 by garyrhook

Ian Stone wrote: The problem with the RX100 is that you can't get ND filters on that easily.  If you are shooting video's you'll want to have your shutter speed double of your focal length.  If you are outdoors in sunlight, that will be impossible with out a ND filter.  

I think you mean "the shutter speed should be half of the inverse of the focal length."

For example, at 24fps you want a shutter speed of 1/48s -ish.  30fps is 1/60s, and for 60fps you'll (the OP) likely want to experiment.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #664386 by Sawyer
You have plenty of room with your budget to get the Canon 90D.  That's a great camera that just came out.  Just saying. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #664414 by Luca
Buy a used GH5  https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-compact-system-cameras/used-panasonic-compact-system-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh5/sku-896689/

Save a few bucks and have more to buy lenses, this is the camera I'm after when I have the $$

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #664553 by Randy Shaw
The RX100 VII would be killer, but I don't think you can attach ND filters to it.  GH5 is popular, but that camera is over 2 years old.  Might be getting close to GH6?  Which means better price on GH5 OR new camera to consider.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #664587 by Alex
I love my GH5, however use a Sony a6400 for B-roll.  However I'm going to be selling this camera soon and making the upgrade to the a6600 for the IBIS and improved battery life.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #664947 by Pettigrew
I'm going to say something here that might get me hung, but I'm going to say it.  You are starting this channel from scratch right?  Till you figure out if this is going to work for you, why not just use your iPhone?  The video is very useable and for many YouTube peeps, exactly what they use.  Once you get your channel off it's feet, then invest into better gear. 

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665054 by michaelsmith
Stick on to your M Series camera. Canon is investing a lot of research and marketing into their mirrorless series, so we are going to be seeing a lot of developments in the EOS M series soon.

4 years 4 months ago #665070 by Joslyn

michaelsmith wrote: Stick on to your M Series camera. Canon is investing a lot of research and marketing into their mirrorless series, so we are going to be seeing a lot of developments in the EOS M series soon.

I was just reading a post last week that said something in the line of 'Sony waked up the inner Canon giant' and then went on to reference pretty much what you did. 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665134 by Jackson Rieger
Canon M50

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665221 by Roy Wilson
Canon m6 mark ii is another option that is under $1000

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665319 by Stanly
Canon has a number of options.  M6 ii 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024