Dual memory card set up recommendations?

4 years 5 months ago #664218 by Howard Swanson
I'm going to start using both my card slots and have been reading around on the back and forth set up recommendations for dual slots.  Some say RAW + RAW others are like RAW + JPG, but then I'll need a zillion cards.  There was even one guy who went on to say use one slot for small cards and swap them out often.  His logic was to minimize loss of all your photos.  

If you are using both slots, how do you have things configured?  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664223 by Nikon Shooter
I shoot Raw on both, highest possible speed of same capacity.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664250 by effron
I have both of my two slot bodies set to overflow. If I was to do an important job I'd set both to raw files for security. It all depends.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664270 by Howard Swanson
Cool.  Actually when you have the camera writing both in RAW for example, is there any reduction in the camera buffer compared to writing to just one card?

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664276 by Nikon Shooter
No, Howard, there is still only one file in the buffer
but the camera OS will write it to each card.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664294 by Peter P
+1 Both are set to RAW

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664307 by garyrhook
As is often the case, it depends.

If you're working something where you can't afford to risk the loss of images, then use the 2nd as a backup.

If you're out shooting and can afford the risk, shoot overflow.

If you need quick access to images, shoot JPG.

When you fill a card, you swap it out. You should have spares anyways.  I now have 8 64GB cards and 6 128 GB cards, along with some 32 GB usually dedicated to the video camera. I own one XQD, and shoot backup in the D850. When the SD card gets full, I swap it out, format the XQD, and trust that the SD will be readable. But at 128 GB, I rarely have to do this mid-shoot.

So: do what you need to do.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664357 by Paul Velasco
Sorry, just using one card so will be of no help.   So with that said, do all of you ALWAYS use a 2 card set up or just when doing client work? 

4 years 5 months ago #664361 by Nikon Shooter
There is a law that says: "If something can go wrong, it will!"

Knowing that I'm prone to forget details at any time, I decided
to do given things always the same way and that includes cards.
Even just for fun, two cards… always. So when for a client, the
two cards are there… for sure!.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664451 by Finn

Nikon Shooter wrote: There is a law that says: "If something can go wrong, it will!"

Knowing that I'm prone to forget details at any time, I decided
to do given things always the same way and that includes cards.
Even just for fun, two cards… always. So when for a client, the
two cards are there… for sure!.

Have you ever had a memory card fail?

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664523 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, but not in camera but in the reader. I could have
recovered the data (not cheap!) but I did bother since
there was the second card.

The faulty card was reformatted in camera and since
then, all is fine.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024