Lexar card fails in Panasonic GH5

4 years 5 months ago #664586 by Alex
All day today, when I tried to shoot video or take any stills with my GH5, it froze up and the only way to get the camera to respond was to remove the battery and re-install.  

So, when I got home, I installed a firmware update for both the camera body and lens.  Went with a different battery... no difference.  

I decided to swap out the memory card with another.  Fixed!

So I thought perhaps the card needed to be formatted.  I saved all the files to my computer, and tried to format the card in the camera and got "Format Error".  Hmmmm

I took the card out and then noticed the problem:

One of the pins is broken. :pinch:

Lexar 256gb 150MB/s.   This card I've had for nearly 4 years so not terribly disappointed.  First card fail in some time.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 5 months ago #664599 by effron
Poor card....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664640 by Toby J
Dang, how could that have happened?  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664673 by fmw
I've had memory cards fail but never like that.  I'd send it to the manufacturer.  I'll bet they would like to see it and I'll bet they replace it for you.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664674 by Nikon Shooter
I experienced bent pins with CF cards but nothing of
that sort with an SDXC… are you too brutal, Alex? :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664683 by garyrhook
Better a mechanical problem than a data corruption problem.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664687 by JaneK
Were you able to get all your photos and videos?

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664711 by effron

Nikon Shooter wrote: I experienced bent pins with CF cards but nothing of
that sort with an SDXC…:

I've had the opposite, a damaged sd once, never an issue with CF....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664721 by Vahrenkamp
If you were able to get those images off, you were lucky considering the chip was damaged like that.  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664738 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote: I experienced bent pins with CF cards but nothing of
that sort with an SDXC… are you too brutal, Alex? :P

Me caveman, me cram card into camera!

LOL

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664841 by Sanford
Never seen damage like that before. I wonder what caused that?  Is that corrosion or impact damage?  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664845 by effron
So Alex, what do you do to those cards between uses, let the kid play with them, or allow the dog to chew 'em?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664853 by Alex

effron wrote: So Alex, what do you do to those cards between uses, let the kid play with them, or allow the dog to chew 'em?

LMAO

Hey bro,

I toss them in the kids toy box or my back pocket.   :rofl:

Seriously though, This card I've used a lot over the years.  But have to say, this was a first for me too.  Never had a failure like this.  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664905 by Street Shark
My luck, those photos wouldn't have been able to be retrieved.  Good for you!

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665009 by Marin Chi
Didn't Lexar go out of business?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024