Bracket photos vs using Grad ND filter?

4 years 5 months ago #664864 by Street Shark
I just wanted to see what others preference was when faced with a frame with a wide dynamic range?  Will you bracket your photo or use a grad ND filter?  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664865 by Nikon Shooter
Years ago, I invested in an expensive kit grads
and sold it soon after I realised the unnatural
way it rendered my work. Since then, I opted
for the bracketing approach.

The D850 we share is doing a great job at this.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664867 by garyrhook

Street Shark wrote: I just wanted to see what others preference was when faced with a frame with a wide dynamic range?  Will you bracket your photo or use a grad ND filter?  

There are plenty of situations where one may be faced with a wide dynamic range, where a graduated ND filter will not work. One would have no recourse other than bracketing.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664868 by effron
No preference, I do both when I can.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664879 by fmw

Street Shark wrote: I just wanted to see what others preference was when faced with a frame with a wide dynamic range?  Will you bracket your photo or use a grad ND filter?  

I prefer to use HDR.  Bracketing won't affect the dynamic range.  It only affects the exposure.  Personally I have never owned or used a graduated filter of any kind.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664884 by effron

fmw wrote: I prefer to use HDR.  Bracketing won't affect the dynamic range.  It only affects the exposure. 

I'm curious, how do you do the HDR?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664918 by Overread
Yep, time and place for each.  Most of the time, I’ll try to get away with the filters, however when to wide of dynamic range, bracket is the answer. 

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664941 by fmw
HDR (high dynamic range imaging) involves taking more than one exposure at different values from a tripod mounted camera and then combining them in software.  Most photo editing programs have an HDR function. 

An simple example would be making two exposures of a landscape subject.  One shot would expose for the sky and the other for the rest of the subject.  When they are combined, both the sky and and the rest are in proper exposure.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665021 by Pat White
You get more dynamic range with the bracketing right? 

4 years 5 months ago #665023 by Nikon Shooter

Pat White wrote: You get more dynamic range with the bracketing right? 

Say, Pat, that a scene covers 18 stops of DR and your sensor
is capable of 14. Shooting for the highlights and for the lows
in two shots will permit you to capture all the DR with the
bracketing approach.

Using a graduated filter will restrict, contain, the 18 stops with-
in the capabilities of the sensor but that will come to a cost.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665026 by effron
That's true, but near dusk and dawn there's usually not that much DR, and filters normally work well enough.
My question to fmw was asking how else to do a real HDR without bracketing....Maybe its a terminology issue?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665083 by Tim Dordeck
Depends on how much time I have and situation.  Ideally to get it as close as I can, I'll do both.  Bracket the shot with the reverse grad or grad ND in place.  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665131 by Jessy Page
I bracket my shots, just because I have been working on trying to increase DR. 

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665240 by Roy Wilson
Another for bracketing

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024