Wedding photographers will one day shoot with a smart phone camera

4 years 4 months ago #665039 by Patty Ganahl
Interesting topic that came up at my photograph club today.  The notion that within the next 10 years that we will see photographers shooting with powerful smart phone cameras.  This idea lead to a number of photographers laughing and joking about showing up to a job with an iPhone.  

Can you imagine that?  Would YOU, if the camera was good enough today?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665043 by garyrhook
Um, there are already "photographers" that do that today. It's not news.

And there are many things that a mobile phone camera can't do. Add to that the fact that software can't make up for device shortcomings (i.e. sensor noise) in the same way a different device can.

Personally, I think JPGs that come out of mobile phones only look good on... mobile phones. And mobile phone cameras do a fine job when there's plenty of light. They fail miserably in many situations.

I don't see that changing a lot in ten years.

And moreso, I don't care. As a tool, it won't let me fulfill my creative vision. Why is this even being discussed?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665050 by KenMan
Gary have you tried the "Focos" camera app on the iPhone? 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665053 by michaelsmith
It might happen one day, but not any day soon! The laws of optics itself ensure that smartphone camera sensors cannot match DSLR/Mirrorless sensors and I cannot even fathom the idea that an iPhone is going to beat the prime lens that I fit on to my 80D!

4 years 4 months ago #665065 by effron

garyrhook wrote: Um, there are already "photographers" that do that today. It's not news.

I can verify that.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665069 by garyrhook

KenMan wrote: Gary have you tried the "Focos" camera app on the iPhone? 

As someone that freely admits to spending a significant amount of time in post, why would I want to do that? On a crappy little screen, with clunky controls, for a few hundred photos for a wedding or event?

When I can use analog (i.e. read-world) equipment and get the results I want when I take the shot?

There are many shots a phone can't do, and (for me) they're clunky to use.

You're not going to make a sale here. You might want to try someone else.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665086 by effron
Yup....I attended a nephew's wedding earlier this year, they asked me to "do some pics" and I declined. The "pro" they hired shot it with an IPhone. They were awful, and I think the only post done was some crops. If I was paying for a job like that, the first disqualifier would be someone using a phone/camera, and I'd ask in advance what gear they'd use. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024